Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harte to Barcelona???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

If its true,great move for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Is it April already?

...oh no, wait.. its just "The Mirror"

They also reckon Villa are going to "swoop" for John O'Shea.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Dublin, Ireland 26.8.200.....In a shock move, English premiership contenders Liverpool FC have snapped up Hairy Homer on a 'Bosman' free transfer from his un-named North Dublin-based five a side team. It is expected the 42 year old will ply his trade in the centre of the field.

Liverpool team manager Gerard Houllier commented: 'We have been looking to strengthen our squad with a view to becoming more competitive against Arsenal and Manchester United. Homer will bring us a commanding presence in midfield that we have lacked since our championship winning days.'

Houllier's assistant Phil Thompson added: 'Too right yeah. We need a fat bastard in midfield. We haven't had one since Jan Molby got banged up. Too many sunshine boys in the Premiership. Thierry Henry might be the fastest player in Europe in a sprint. But running round Homer? Let's see what he's like at middle distance, eh? Eh? Eh?'

Liverpool's rivals put a brave face on the daunting challenge facing them. 'To be fair, they had to get a bit of extra bite in the middle of the park,' said Manchester United captain Roy Keane, 'and I don't have a problem with that. But I still don't think the jackeen langer is going to make a lot of difference at the end of the day. It's all about putting the ball in the back of the net.'

Arsenal captain Patrick Viera refused to discuss the impending transfer of anyone but himself. 'You know that David Beckham has my mobile number?' he hinted darkly 'and I've told him to pass it on to anyone with a Merc and a Rolex.'

Sunderland boss Mick McCarthy slammed the move, saying that he had been hoping to get Homer's signature but that negotiations had foundered on the subject of boat and train expenses to attend the mandatory medical. 'I'd like to put t'fat bastard's backside in t' bacon slicer,' he fumed. 'But credit the lads I've still got. They'll do a job for us.'

Could be true. If Harte goes to Barcelona, anything's possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

would be a great move for harte, but even better for homer. I hope the pool snap him up, he is exactly what they're missing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I suppose we could consider Homer to the pool as Houlier's parting shot at the club.

As for Harte??? David Connolly's got more chance of moving to Barca...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Mick McCarthy slammed the move, saying that he had been hoping to get Homer's signature but that negotiations had foundered on the subject of boat and train expenses to attend the mandatory medical

Do I spy an opening for an agent. Whats the chances Hairy?

Brilliant Post.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Surely that subject should have read:

Harte goes to Barcalona for two weeks holidays! :):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's true, Barce are looking for a natural Left sided full back and harte fits thier bill, I reckon he would do very well in Spain, he would have more time on the ball and his attacking skills would be very usefull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

i reckon spanish or italian soccer would suit him a lot more than prem

wasnt he being linked with milan before the world cup? accordin to mick's book (ya i know, im a soccer addict but dat was the lowest i've ever gone) thats why he didnt play well, he was thinkin bout transfers too much. damn him n his boyish good looks

I dunno about Italy, you tend to need to be able to defend to pass as a left back in Seria A, but in spain he would have oceans of space to do his thing in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I doubt its true,but if it is, It'd be great for him,and for Ireland.

And yes,I've also read Mick's book (After Keane's and Quinn's books, I needed a new one), it does appear harte was wanted by inter...

It's all true...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

What the hell would they want _HIM_ for?
    They looking to weaken their squad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

They must be stupid in barca to let jp sorin leave and go after harte instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

There has to be a bit of truth in it. It was in the Mirror, The Star and The Sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

barca were supposed to be chasing gary breen last year. they must have pretty poor scouts. thought frank rikaard would have a bit of sense.

harte is a liability to any team. he's good on set plays and thats it. he's not even that great on set plays, missed a pressure penalty for ireland and has poor delivery from corners at times.

unless they get him for nothing they'd be stupid to sign him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

They must be looking for him to sweep up the stands after the matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Harte could fit in very well at Barca there stuck for defenders so it could easily happen and if they sell Puyol it could definatly happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by smemon
    barca were supposed to be chasing gary breen last year. they must have pretty poor scouts.

Yeah, probably Thick Mick McCarthy. Who's next, Kilbane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

wel barca have got van bronkhorst on a year long loan so thats that rumour squashed. surely one left back will do them.

ive heard harte being linked with barca before, after the 1-0 win over holland.

• Advertisement

I still have the tapes of all Ireland's games in the last World Cup. If Harte gets signed up by anyone bigger than Leeds I will take out my anorak, select any one of the games, watch it with a notebook and pencil and record the number of times Ian Harte took posession of the ball and the number of times this resulted in
    a) his being tackled
    b) his shooting and missing (including penalties)
    c) his passing the ball directly to a member of the opposition.

Without exhaustive analyis I'm estimating 75 per cent of the time for that last figure.

Anybody want to argue with me, I'll dust off the videos and get you an exact figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Just see how many goals Ireland have conceeded from the left of our defence when Harte is playing.

Go in, check it out... you won't be in the least bit surprised!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Harte is getting far too much stick for one bad world cup... besides the world cup, I think he's a pretty good player when it comes to set peices... and lately, he's even begun to do some of this "defending" we've all been hearing about.

Originally posted by sykeirl
    Just see how many goals Ireland have conceeded from the left of our defence when Harte is playing.

Go in, check it out... you won't be in the least bit surprised!

Well two out of three in the World Cup from memory.

Ahh this takes me back. I remember when we used to do the same analysis on Kenny Sansom when he used to play for England. :-)

And he was responsible for not picking up Klose in the one goal that was initiated on our right hand side. Despite being TOLD to do so by his captain.

Nothing personal against the guy, but Jesus what a liability.

if he was part of a stable defence (as in 2 decaint CB's) he wouldnt look as bad, Kolse was always going to socer that goal, no irish player could dream of matching his power in the air, thats just the way it is.

Advertisement