Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ZoneAlarm disabled my network?

Options
  • 26-08-2003 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭

Hi,

I installed ZoneAlarm just over a week ago (I've been on holiday for a week :/) because of that friendly worm that was going around, and since it was installed, I've apparently lost my connection to the other computer in the room.

First I should explain I have no comprehension of networking at all. I set this network up (about 2 years ago) by just sticking a network card in each computer, popping a Linksys 5-port hub between them, linking them with the cable, then following some wizards on this computer and changing a few settings (which I can't remember) in order to send files from one to the other.

The internet connection is on this computer, running Winows XP. The other computer, running Win2k, could always share the connection. If I went into my browser on the other computer and this one wasn't connected to the internet, it would connect for me.

I installed ZoneAlarm; suddenly the network connection between this computer and the other ceased to be. I disabled ZoneAlarm on startup in MsConfig - still no network. I uninstalled ZoneAlarm - still no network. I reinstalled ZoneAlarm.
    I went into ZoneAlarm, found what I thought was the network ("MAC Bridge Miniport") and set it as a "Trusted" zone. I then set ZoneAlarm to low security. I restarted the other computer. On restarting, Windows Auto-Update pops up on the other computer listing updates available for download. There must be a connection, I think. Download, I say. Said computer freezes. Completely freezes, as in everything just not moving any more, no action whatsoever.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions on how I can get the network working again. I'm not too hopeful though since as I said I don't understand networking, and this won't be considered a "proper" network anyway :/
    If any more info is required plz ask for it, but I can't go on rite now because the other computer has just completely fvcked up. The monitor refuses to display anything however many times you restart it. If anyone has any ideas on that too it would also be appreciated :/

This is not a good day for me :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

There must be a connection, I think.

To start the ball rolling, to determine if they're talking to each other, go to the command prompt and type

ping <computername>

then
    ping <ipaddress>

- the above without the <>
    (you can get the ipaddress of the other machine with the command ipconfig/all)

This will first of all determine if they're still networked. I dont use ZA..so i cant say for sure but maybe it has blocked the other machine and put its computer name/ipaddress in a blocked addresses list??

*Edit
    The monitor refuses to display anything however many times you restart it. If anyone has any ideas on that too it would also be appreciated :/

Just saw this...try another monitor?..u think its booting up fully but not displaying or is it not making it through the bootup process??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Gfx card on other computer was... broke. That problem's sorted now.

I tried ipconfig/all. The only connections it showed were my Broadband connection and my "Ethernet Adaptor Network Bridge". No other computer listed :( Next I found out the IP of the other computer and added it in ZoneAlarm as a Trusted Zone. Not that that did any good; neither computer will recognise the other still.

The thing is, if ZoneAlarm simply wasn't letting it connect, it should at least be asking me for permission to connect, as it does with everything else. It isn't. It's as though ZoneAlarm has actually disabled the network, rather than just preventing the other computer from accessing this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Are they still in the same workgroup?

When you go to 'my network places' -> 'computers near me' - does the other computer show up?

You could try setting up the network connection again from scratch i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

My Network Places only shows this computer and not the other one. Trying to ping the IP of the other computer didn't work either :(

Ah if only I could remember how I set the network up :*(

Advertisement