Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petition re Ticketmaster rip off

• 26-08-2003 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭

Log onto www.ticeidi.com to sign the petition if you've had enough of TM!!

"Ticeidi.com is the brainchild of one very annoyed citizen of Ireland who is fed up paying exorbitant prices for ‘handling charges’ on concert tickets, sports events tickets, etc. "

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Haven't gone to the site (too lazy) but is there a way to avoid these stupid extra charges, and if not, why aren' they just stuck on to the price of the ticket?

I have never understood the handling charge, surely they are already making a profit on the tickets they are setting, without it. Anyway, imagine going to the cinema and then being charged a handling charge :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Originally posted by bloggs
    I have never understood the handling charge, surely they are already making a profit on the tickets they are setting, without it. Anyway, imagine going to the cinema and then being charged a handling charge :confused:

The Handling charge can be avoided for a lot of events, pay in cash at the boxoffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Guerilla

A lot of venues dont have a box office now. I tried to get tickets from vicar st. but they only open it on the night of the show so if that sells out...thats it (plus I bet its a TM desk)
    I know the olympia has its box office open all the time.

One way of avoiding some of the handling charges is by going to st. stephens green shopping centre TM desk as it is 'supposed' to be booking charge free booth. It applies to most gigs but not all. I got a ticket for Beck there at cost price...I was so shocked.

But yeah where possible head for or contact the venues box office for tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

I agree its totally crazy - especially if you order tickets over the phone - they add all sorts of charges for booking etc.... total madness!!!!

Heres a good one for tho with ticketmaster - how is it that i dont know a single soul going to see David Bowie on the 11th of November - sure granted I dont know everyone in dublin or Ireland for that matter but these tickets do seem like a total rarity and I know of at least five people that rang up the second they went on sale and were told they sold out............................

This happens WAY TOO OFTEN!!! The only place it seems you can get tickets now is by entering competitions and theyre does seem to be an extraordinary amount of these competitions......is that where these tickets are going???? If so its up to ticketmaster to put a stop to this - i thought after all the concerts are for the FANS not the VIPS!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Sounds like artificial scarcity to me.

Another item to add to the list of 10,000,000 complaints against ticketmaster.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I saw a debate on RTE between the heads of the consumer affairs(I think) and TM. Apparently everything is all because of the banks. Ticketmaster (my eyes are welling up for them now) have no choice but to charge these prices to keep their heads afloat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Any time I think of Ticketmaster and overcharging (the two go so well together), I tend to think of the Hullabalooza Simpsons episode. If ticketmaster went for a 100% service charge and Slane tiickets started at 90 euros would people pay it? Hell yeah. They'd still fill the venue. That's the problem we've got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭dirty_latino

Why is it that everybody on all of these forums lacks any sense of business acumen?

Can you not understand that Ticketmaster is a business that must make a profit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dirty_latino
    Why is it that everybody on all of these forums lacks any sense of business acumen?
    Lots of people on these forums run their own businesses
    Er, yeah. See answer above. Any business that is in a dominant market position shouldn't be able to abuse that position to the detriment of consumers though by overcharging. Like Microsoft. AT&T. Standard Oil. Eircom. Oracle. It should be rather easy to understand and it's nothing to do with jealousy. By the way that's my response to your Tesco post as well. I'll discuss it in a new thread on either forum if you can do it politely without implying that everyone that isn't you is an idiot. Your call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Originally posted by dirty_latino

The words 'anti', 'trust' and 'laws' come to mind. You wouldn't happen to work for TM buy any chance, would you? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

I've signed the petition but to be honest I don't think Ticketmaster is the big problem. They charge a percentage, the real problem is the elevated price concert promoters are demanding for tickets in the first place not the additional booking fee, although it doesn't help. I think people are getting the two issues mixed up.

Advertisement