Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[New Forum] Express Yourself?

Options
  • 26-08-2003 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

[New Forum] Express Yourself? or something similar.

I thinking of a forum where one can post original creative works like poems, lyrics, music etc for critique or just a chance to express yourself (hence the name).

I know we have a Literature forum but that doesn't seem suitable because or many reasons like whenever poems have been posted before they seem to end up all in the one thread so it makes it hard top navigate and comment.

Anyway that's my idea.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Could someone move this into "Feedback / Suggestions" please?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I like this idea, there really isn't any specific place for these kind of things and there is certainly no shortage of creativity and skill on boards.

I give it a thumbs up :) .

Originally posted by CuLT
    I like this idea, there really isn't any specific place for these kind of things and there is certainly no shortage of creativity and skill on boards.

I give it a thumbs up :) .

Thank you, I like to write poems and lyrics myself and would love to post 'em somewhere to get comments on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I quite like the idea, everyone would benefit from both compliments and constructive criticism, but there could be a problem with people insulting others' work as opposed to offering advice. But a good idea nonetheless and I'm sure a responsible mod could deal with the 'non-constructive criticism'.

This is a very good idea.
    And gets the thumbs up from me.
    The title is fitting too :)

Just a quick thought though,that has occurred to me here, but on a board like that, how would one protect their ideas/poems/original work or whatever?? considering you would be putting them out in the open.

mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Hmm, I wonder if people would find the poems and lyrics if they were posted in Bands/Musicians.

I really want it to become more than just a musical buy and sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Well don't settle for second best or something

Not a bad idea. Could call it Creativity.

Bring in some experts to give advice.

I'm sure a responsible mod could deal with the 'non-constructive criticism'.

Absolutely It should be a very serious offence to blatantly slag off others' work.
    how would one protect their ideas/poems/original work or whatever??

you mean sticking a little c and the date after it won't protect it :D No but seriously this would be a very important issue. I'v been having a look around here seeing what the sus is http://www.patentsoffice.ie/copyright.html I will report back if no one beats me to it.
    Hmm, I wonder if people would find the poems and lyrics if they were posted in Bands/Musicians.

I was thinking about that myself we'd have to find some sort of soulution

Well it seems that if one were to pulish a work on the forum they would have Copyright of it, I may be missing something though it's a very long Act to follow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You are persistant on this arent you!

1 / 2

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Kappar
    Well it seems that if one were to pulish a work on the forum they would have Copyright of it, I may be missing something though it's a very long Act to follow
    Aaaah, my eyes!

(don't make me read that, please Mommy, I'll be good)

Yeah, you've copyright the minute you publish it. There's no need to register it, do anything fancy or send yourself a little sealed letter with your work inside it. The Berne Convention recommends that people put a little (c) AND "copyright" <name> <date> at the end of stuff when it's generally published but the lines have changed since the convention was originally passed (both here and in the US (and elsewhere)) and it's no longer a requirement. It's totally yours unless you emphatically give some of those rights away (with the little exceptions on works for hire and so on but those don't apply here). Even releasing stuff under the Creative Commons license is giving some of the rights inherent in your copyright away so you'd have to specifically state that you were releasing it under the creative commons.

Originally posted by Gordon
    You are persistant on this arent you!

1 / 2

Sush, You've found me out you dog.:D

(don't make me read that again, please Mommy, I'll be good)

Being good makes baby jebus Vomit in rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ironically you are both write. The moment you create a piece of literature or art in this country you own copyright on it. *HOWEVER* you need to be able to PROVE that you created it first if there is an argument. Hence the idea of putting it through registered post or performing/publishing it in public.

Either way, I think a Creative Writing forum might be good for essays, poetry or anything else people might want to write.

DeV.

I think a Creative Writing forum might be good for essays, poetry or anything else people might want to write

Exactly somewhere for posting original pieces and "Creative Writing " sounds like a perfect name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by DeVore
    Ironically you are both write. The moment you create a piece of literature or art in this country you own copyright on it. *HOWEVER* you need to be able to PROVE that you created it first if there is an argument. Hence the idea of putting it through registered post or performing/publishing it in public.
    Would the timestamp of the post on this site not do that? Or can it's integrity be compromised or summit? (Maybe by editing the post!)

I hope this idea doesn't just flop off now. I think we could make a real go of this as long as some momentum stays behind it which i will of course do as Gordon has pointed out

Excellent, "Creative Writinig" should cover it, although it does leave it somewhat resticted if the boards would encompass other things in the future.
    But I think my ramblings could go in there until I get a journal :) .

• Advertisement

Originally posted by CuLT
    Excellent, "Creative Writinig" should cover it, although it does leave it somewhat resticted if the boards would encompass other things in the future.
    But I think my ramblings could go in there until I get a journal :) .

I think that "Creative Writing would suit for now if it needs changing in the future we can. That's why pencils have erasers .:D

Originally posted by Kappar
    I think that "Creative Writing would suit for now if it needs changing in the future we can. That's why pencils have erasers .:D

And why Nazis have revisionists (oooh topical)

Originally posted by yellum
    And why Nazis have revisionists (oooh topical)

Yes, maybe you should "Express Yourself" on this topic through the medium of creative writing :) .

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

um hang on... this isnt going to be a "Misc" style forum... is it?

what I have in mind is somewhere people can write essays , poetry or creative pieces of prose. Its not somewhere for journal style "what I did today" stuff... though admitedly some journal entries that I've read (and occasionally written) would work there.

Is that what you have in mind?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by DeVore
    I tend to ignore the actual practicalities unfortunately:D.

Thanks for pointing that out.

(unfortunately that means I also sometimes write software like a lawyer would - code's far too long, commenting is optional, it only works for me (& even then only when there's a full moon and I'm dancing on one leg)[1].

I guess the date/timestamp on the post would be enough.

[1]not really. I take care over my bad code. The last thing I want to do is go back to law or accountancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I remember on another boards months ago, a thread was started where everyone had to write in rhyme. It quickly turned into everyone writing in haiku. Good fun, and stretched the brain muscles a bit. Maybe that might happen here, although it's very close to spam, so maybe not.

Either way, I like the original idea, I probably wouldn't post much, if anything, on it, but reading other people's writings, poetry, lyrics, or whatever, is always interesting and entertaining.

/me gives two thumbs up.:)

Is that what you have in mind?

No, The Idea I suggested is for original creative works e.g essays, short stories, poems, lyrics etc NOT somewhere to post something if Monty bans you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Um...

What's wrong with using the Literature forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Isn't the literature forum more for discussing other people's work?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    Isn't the literature forum more for discussing other people's work?

That's what I thaught, I think a new forum is needed to allow people to discuss their own work.

Advertisement