Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An open letter to DeVore

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Wheres the "Next Thread" button?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Hi again, and sorry for the delay with replying.

I didn't think I'd have to clarify this, but what I meant by listening in the context of a written medium was reading everything I had written, evaluating it without a prior intent to arrive at a particular decision before having read it, thinking about it for a while, and then making a decision in as dispassionate a way as possible.

I don't know how long you went from reading what I had written to posting, Devore, but at least some time had elapsed for you to have done some new thinking on the subject. Ecksor's replies were very quick and confrontational, and he didn't give the impression that he was willing to give the matter any new consideration.

You say you always listen to civil points of view regardless of whether they agree or disagree with yours, and I'm sure that I have been courteous with both of you. I didn't feel that I was being listened to - for one reason as I have said above, and for another because I was threatened with being banned for simply talking about the matter. That isn't being listened to. That is why I genuinely felt, and still feel, disillusioned with this board.

Now I can respect your decision, but I could respect it even better if I felt it had been arrived at with fresh thought and impartiality.

I also genuinely don't understand why you would seem to encourage someone who has been banned to simply sign up under a new name. I'm not being sarcastic when I say I don't understand it – I really don’t. I mean - if someone is causing trouble, being offensive or unconstructive, why would signing up under a different name change things? On the other hand, if someone has genuinely learnt a lesson and decided to change their behaviour, then why wouldn't you rather that they be reinstated under the same username? At least then you would know who you were dealing with. You would be able to monitor their progress much more easily.

To put it another way - what makes the person posting under the username Boston, for example, be any different now than when he was using another username like Gladiator? What comes first, the change of name or the change of heart? Is Daz really new and improved because they change the box? Of course not, and that's what I'm getting at. A superficial change like creating a new username doesn't mean anything. If there is a chance of redemption for anybody, then why does it need to be under a different username? It only makes sense to me to force them (as much as is practically possible) to keep the same username so that you can judge the poster by the true sum of his or her posts. Surely that makes sense?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Good grief!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

I think "Colin" is in love with DeVore.

Read his first post again.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Is there some kind of loop in this thread or what? I'm worried about being drawn in by just posting this. Come on people! Why can't ColinM just realise that Sloth was banned because he was persistently annoying? I read the one on Star Wars Galaxies, and its bloody rediculous! He was promised a forum if the demand proved to be there, but he just continued on randomly, with no other purpose but to TROLL the admins! I was sick of it after one page.

If Sloth really wants redemption, then its up to him. All he has to do is cut out the rediculous behaviour. He seems to have had no problem operating multiple personalities in the past, so I can't see him having a problem with a new identity. Maybe if he'd just copped himself on, and acted like a normal human being, none of us would be in this mess.

And finally, why wont you listen to DeVore? He has clearly listened to your opinion (on many occasions). This isn't about him not listening - it's about you not accepting his decision, and that's a different matter altogether. I suggest you take the time to sort that out by yourself.

Despite my dismissal of your claims, I urge you not to respond. This thread should be over by now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

thread locked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

And not a moment too soon.

Er, hang on a minute...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

DeV, you been receiving any gifts lately at work? No red roses?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

Is Daz really new and improved because they change the box?
    I think thats the point - all the admins want is the veneer of respectability (this is all most of us can provide).

Besides, I doubt that even devore has the time or dedication to devote energy to every ex-deviant creating a debacle.

In that way boards is nicely similar to a soap opera - you can always "start fresh" by moving away for a bit , then coming back as a "new person" / different actor :).

now, i declare this thread closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Originally posted by ColinM
    I also genuinely don't understand why you would seem to encourage someone who has been banned to simply sign up under a new name. I'm not being sarcastic when I say I don't understand it – I really don’t. I mean - if someone is causing trouble, being offensive or unconstructive, why would signing up under a different name change things? On the other hand, if someone has genuinely learnt a lesson and decided to change their behaviour, then why wouldn't you rather that they be reinstated under the same username? At least then you would know who you were dealing with. You would be able to monitor their progress much more easily.
    When I saw the post at first I had to admit I said no bloody way was my lazy ass gonna read that :D but I just did. Then I started to read the rest of the replies and stoped. I just skipped to DeVore's.
    In the in between ColinM and DeVore's posts there is a lot of Bull, crap and "make fun of the guy who speaks his mind". Most of that is touched in ColinM's post.

Anyways, I have to admit, the section I just quoted has a point. If the person has made a genuine change of hart why not?

Bonus in restoring the name....
    U can monitor his progress.
    He is more lightly to stay changed because of the guesture of good will.

Negative part....
    U have to 12 click him again.
    (thats all i can think of and its not just cause its conviniant)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I just want to know, what makes Colin think that Ecksor is one of Devores lackies and he can just "go over Ecksors head".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by ColinM

Because this is a community of people who's main method of judging other members is by their posts.

Username = posts by that user

In general that's all we know about them, so that's how we judge them.

Sloth now has a rep that will hever be shaken off, any slight offence commited under that name would be jumped at by mods, admins, trolls etc. It is better for all concerned (IMO) that the individual involved, if they still want to be part of the community, start afresh.

As for monitoring, surely the obligation is on the individual to behave in a way that's acceptable to the community without being monitored? There's thousands of us after all, why should precious time and energy from people who are volunteers, be put into keeping obvious bloody muppets on the straight and narrow?

Why shouldn't we make fun of him? He came to us originally and raised all this and got an answer, and since we obviously weren't listening to him, he asked again.

Screw that. Just accept the answer he's gotten on more than one occasion at this stage.

Snowball: Very trite really. I don't believe the change of heart. You don't go from fool to cool in 10 minutes. We've also explained the bit about keeping your head down for a good long period of time if you want a chance at being taken seriously again. That applies to you too btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

but you can got from cool to fool fast....
    /me flips up his collar and shakes his booty,
    you want some of this ColinM you want some???
    *kissy kissy*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Originally posted by yossarin

now, i declare this thread closed

NOE you dont. For I have dont it twice already, but someone keeps opening it.

I just dont understand

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

For I have dont it twice already, but someone keeps opening it.

I know ! There must be some sort of knack to it. Maybe i should try it in a suitably magisterial voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Ban Castor Troy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by yossarin
    I know ! There must be some sort of knack to it. Maybe i should try it in a suitably magisterial voice.
    You're using the wrong sekrit word

It's "Locked", not "closed".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I think you need to say it in Latin!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Sloth is banned, get over it.
    If he still wants to use boards, he should use a new username.

The reason for a new username is that when he does come back, no-one will know who he is, and no-one should know, if he keeps the focus off himself.

If he were to come back as sloth, he could be banned for anything trivial due to him being marked out as a trouble maker.

You see they are trying to help sloth by allowing him to come back as someone else, who won't be prejudged :p

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The whole fun about getting banned is so that you can come back a more respectable self and then some time later let it be known that you were the unsavourable character from previous. Oh what joy it is to poke fun at people under guise and under no guise afterwards. heh.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement