Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

soul caliber 2

Options
  • 27-08-2003 12:13am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, so Ive heard a sh1t load about this game, but I need some convincing before I part with my cash.

Im not a huge beat-em-up fan, but I enjoy it when done properly.... e.g. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (mainly multiplayer)

Now from what Ive seen, soul caliber 2 looks like another Mortal Kombat DA, graphic wise anyway.

What will the single player be like on it, as MK:DA was really ****e. Id expect the 2 player to be a good laugh, but its hard for it not to be on beat-em-ups.

What is there in this game (besides the whole spawn/zelda thing) to encourage me to buy it over, say, DOA 3 or even Mortal Kombat (which I wouldnt, unless it was REALLy cheap)

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast was beyond any shadow of a doubt the best beat 'em up I've ever played.

It also came close to being the best two player game I've ever played too. I'd pay full price to have a copy of it for my Gamecube as my dreamcast has gone by the wayside.

By that rationale I'd say that Soul Calibur II is going to be the grasshoppers ankles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

its amazin, 10 times more enjoyable than the new mk. the graphics are great, and thers more options

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Its really really good , The 1 player is good because of weapon master mode , LOADS to unlock :) easy to pick up - very hard to master

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

From what I have played, Soul Calibur II is an excellent game. Think beat em' up with weapons. The one player is really deep and, as Tusky said, theres loads of options. Its a masterful game, not a button-basher, and if your opponent is good then two-player can be quite competitive.

Its better than a Mortal Kombat or Dead or Alive game. Its no Marvel vs. Capcom 2 though. I say give it a rent when it is released and you can decide for yourself. Technically, the Xbox version is the best, but it really all boils down to character and controller preference when deciding which version to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'm waiting for the next Battle Arena Toshindon - whenever they get around to making that, it's going to absolutely blow Soul Calibur 2 out of the water!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm waiting for the next Battle Arena Toshindon - whenever they get around to making that, it's going to absolutely blow Soul Calibur 2 out of the water!

I hope that is sarcasm. The Battle Arena Toshinden series has always been crap and was only popular for a while because it was one of the nicest looking games ever when it was released on PS1. Even the rubbish Tekken 4 is better than any of the toshinhen games. Soul Caliber 2 far surpasses any game in the series. Unless there are drastic changes in toshindens core gameplay then it won't stand a chance against SC2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 RockViper

Yeah Toshinden great game waaaay better than Soul Calibur........ ahem anyway yeah SC was definatly one of the best, possibly the best 3d fighter ever and I'm eagerly awaiting SC2. My best advice is get it on the GC if you have one that way no crappy Spawn or Heihachi :p
    You really can't compare SC to mortal kombat deadly alliance, both the graphics and gameplay are a thousand times better, characters have a bloody massive moves list and the And the amount of extras will keep you coming back to it for ages.
    Also I'd advise anyone getting it to try and get this aswell . Lets face it fighters work better with arcade sticks.click here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

sc2 is good, not really on the level of tekken tag(not the ****in PAL version)or vf4, but more enjoyable because it is easier and has far less depth than those so is better for some1 not so serious about their beat em ups
    it is great for a bash when u have loads of mates around aswell, but the 1p mode kinda sux, however this is true of all fightin games

Advertisement