Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Laptop.

• 27-08-2003 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭

Could someone point me in the direction of somewhere online i could buy a high spec laptop as cheap as possible, preferably with a good graphics card.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Try, www.dell.ie
    and help keep jobs in Ireland as well?..

P.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

IMO, the dell laptops are ridicously overpriced.
    www.elara.ie have a large catalogue to search through, you may find a good one, but they specification details are not very detailed. you may have to email them to find out the full spec.

your best bet is if you have friends of relatives living in the UK.
    laptops there are about half the price of over here.
    You can get this for £999 including VAT at www.nicepc.co.uk

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo D-7830 Intel Pentium® 4 2.8GHz, 60Gb Hard Disk, 512Mb DDR, DVD-Rom/CD Re-Writer Combo Driver, ATI Mobility 9000 graphics 64Mb video memory, Firewire IEEE 1394 port, Broadband ready, Bluetooth compatible, 15" TFT XGA display, 5x Fast USB 2.0 ports. Software worth over £800. FREE 12 Months, Courier Collect and Return Warranty.

which would be less than €1500.

www.multivision.co.uk is another one that sells nice laptops.
    again, they will only deliver to UK or Northern Ireland. which is too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Try Acer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Or you could try the Beyond 2000 store in Dublin. They have a wide selection of powerful ACER laptops for good prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

think i'm just gonna go with dell. Expensive but nice spec (especially the gfx card).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Go to PC World and pick up an advent. I have posted this many times, the cheapest and the highest spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Shamo

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Go to PC World and pick up an advent. I have posted this many times, the cheapest and the highest spec.

I'm getting a dell laptop soon too, Inspiron 8600. The main reason is the better graphics card (128Meg GeforceFX 5650 Go), the good quality widescreen display and the new power saving Intel Centrinos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I cannot stress strongly enough what a badly built and badly supported brand Dixons/PC Worlds own "Advent" brand are. - At least they were last year when I bought one. I had to bring it back 3 times to get it repaired... each time it took anything up to 2 weeks to get back (as they had to send it off to England).

Eventually I got it replaced with a Toshiba and I've never looked back - plus theres a Toshiba service centre in Dublin (near the Walkinstown Roundabout - ... get it fixed / get parts for it - without breaking the warranty). I got a replacement keyboard there after a few keys got broken, - fitted it myself, - good as new.

DONT BUY AN ADVENT.
    DO BUY A TOSH.

...or a Dell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

My company can sell you a Toshiba Satellite Pro M10, with Windows XP Professional (set up, ready to roll with all the latest driver updates and Windows patches) and WinDVD, for 1600 Euro.

Specification below:
    * 1.3GHz Pentium M
    * 256Megs RAM
    * 30gig hard drive
    * 15" TFT (1024x768)
    * DVD-ROM/CD-RW (internal)
    * External USB floppy drive
    * GeForce 4 420 Go (32Mb)
    * Wireless lan, 100 Mb lan, and modem
    * USB 2.0, Firewire, SD-CARD, IR
    * Harmon Kardon Speakers

We can also supply Office XP Pro with this package for an additional 350 Euro, or we can supply it with OpenOffice preinstalled for free.

All prices include VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by JustHalf
    My company can sell you a Toshiba Satellite Pro M10, with Windows XP Professional (set up, ready to roll with all the latest driver updates and Windows patches) and WinDVD, for 1600 Euro.

Specification below:
    * 1.3GHz Pentium M
    * 256Megs RAM
    * 30gig hard drive
    * 15" TFT (1024x768)
    * DVD-ROM/CD-RW (internal)
    * External USB floppy drive
    * GeForce 4 420 Go (32Mb)
    * Wireless lan, 100 Mb lan, and modem
    * USB 2.0, Firewire, SD-CARD, IR
    * Harmon Kardon Speakers

We can also supply Office XP Pro with this package for an additional 350 Euro, or we can supply it with OpenOffice preinstalled for free.

All prices include VAT.

i'd be very interested if there was a much better gfx card, bigger hdd and 512megs of RAM. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

We can upgrade the hard drive to a 40 gig model for an additional 40 Euro. We'll look into upgrading the RAM.

Graphics card is, as you can guess, non-upgradable :)

Advertisement