Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Takeaway Sweet and Sour sauce recipe?

Options
  • 27-08-2003 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Everyone knows the sauce. It's red, thick, and far more sweet than sour. Comes in a polystyrene cup with a chuck of pineapple in it. Decried by food buffs as being nothing like the real thing in China. etc.

Can someone confirm whether takeaways buy it in or make it?

Or can someone provide the recipe? I can get close with combinations of white vinegar, brown sugar, tomato paste, soy sauce or salt, pineapple juice, a lot of corn starch.. but haven't found anything quite right yet..

Please?? Anybody care to share??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

I don't think I want to know what they actually put in it..
    ignorance being bliss and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

Buy the Sweet n' Sour stuff in the jar. It's really tasty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Any Chinese folks I've met tell me that either half the menu of chinese restraunts is either changed horribly from what it's really like in china, or doesn't actually exist. Chinese restraunts are lying to us! Just an observation, I'm not going to stop eating food that, while it may not be authentic, is certainly tastey gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

1 cup Pineapple or Cherry Juice (or half of each)
    4 tsp rice vinegar
    1 tsp balsamic vinegar
    1 cup water
    3 tsp tomato paste
    4 tsp brown sugar
    1 tsp sweet chilli sauce
    1 Clove of Garlic (finely chopped)
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 tsp mustard powder
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 tsp ginger (finely chopped)
    2 tsp cornflour mixed with 6 tsp water

Bring all the ingredients (except the cornstarch) slowly to the boil, stirring continuously, add the cornflour to thicken. u can then strain it to get the bits of chilli garlic and ginger out if u want

will keep in fridge for about 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Donkeyhotey

2 Parts Sugar
    1 Part Red Sauce
    1 Part Vinegar
    Grated Ginger Root to taste
    Boil in the microwave or in a pot. Do try it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 JackieBurkhart

Chinese wouldn't eat take-out chinese food, as marketed here. They eat a lot of fish, brocolli and steamed rice.

I worked in a chinese for years. They don't make all the sauces - for example they don't make Satay sauce from scratch, but I'm fairly sure they make the Sweet & Sour.

All I can remember is that the internal bits of peppers - you know the pips and rind - they used to save that and put it in the pot where they were making the S&S sauce.

They used to put starch in EVERYTHING.

In summary I'm not much good to you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Jassha's thread on chinese recipes might be of some use to you, have a look in the cooking and recipes section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

I haven't tried it, but Rasa Malaysia has a recipe and they are usually pretty good!

http://rasamalaysia.com/sweet-and-sour-chicken/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement