Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with SVCHOST.EXE in Windows 2000

Options
  • 27-08-2003 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

I have Win 2000 on my work PC and in the last few days, when it boots up, I sometimes get a message saying 'SVCHOST.EXE has caused an error and will be closed'. After clicking OK the search function on the computer stops working, I noticed this when trying to find the file in question after I first got this error.

Also, if this happens and you try to go into the WINNT directory, the thing it normally has down the left that you click to show the files does not appear.

A reboot usually sorts it out - I tried running SVCHOST.EXE itself to see what it does, nothing visible anyway. It's in the WINNT\SYSTEM32 directory, with another one in the WINNT\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE directory.

Does anyone know what this file is or does and if I need to start getting worried? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Have a gander here :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109749&highlight=svchost

Might be of relevance to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Its part of the Welchia worm which was the worm sent around that fixes the Blaster worm. Norton have a file for removing it on their website but i can't remember the exact link. The file is called Fixwelch though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

I am not sure why it would be crashing. But here
    is the MS kb article on what svchost.exe for Windows 2000.

Also, take a look in your event viewer for anything unusual with svchost.exe, you might be able to pinpoint the problem in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

oh, Microsoft reported this problem is with Virus w32.Blaster. Scan your system with latest virus definitioned antivirus.Then Install this patch:-

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

and to get rid of the virus, download stinger fron Network Associates

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

the download link is beside number 1 on the page. Read the rest of the page for instructions.

Run stinger.exe in safemode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭davil

Originally posted by LoLth
    and to get rid of the virus, download stinger fron Network Associates

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

the download link is beside number 1 on the page. Read the rest of the page for instructions.

Run stinger.exe in safemode.

Exactly. It's nice to know someone knows what they're doing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I work in tech support.. I've been saying the exact same thing so many times over the last three weeks I think I will kill the next caller I get about this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Just to let some of you know, there is svchost.exe and SVCHOST.EXE in the processes list of my computer when i got infected by the Welchia Worm. The one in the capitals is the virus.

Advertisement