Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mars at it's closest tonite!

• 27-08-2003 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I hope the clouds stay away but somehow I doubt it...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Originally posted by sirpsycho
    I hope the clouds stay away but somehow I doubt it...

The exact time was 09:51 UT this morning, so before dawn would have been best, though the sky wasnt clear enough from where I was.

Skies look clear so far for tonight at least!

Cheers,
    ~Al

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

weird, I posted that note at 9.49 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

It's looking good for a clear night and I have my scope at the ready:D Mars will rise just after 9pm this evening in the south east and it will be in its prime possition for viewing at about 1.30am in a south westerly direction. For anybody looking for it, it is unmistakeable at the moment and is brighter than ony other stars by far, you will see it has a distinct red colour.

Happy viewing

Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

I can tmake out anything on mars, just a yellowish circle. Is there a filter I should use to see it better?

Try it again at 1am when there will be less atmospheric interferance to get in the way also what are you observing with Size, ect

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Cheers for that Redshift .. I was looking allover the place , twas about the first time I've actually used binoculars to look in the sky and to be honest everything looked bloody bright .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,520 ✭✭✭irishgeo

damn clouds. hope to get a glimpse over the weekend. it doesnt move that fast does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

It'll be prominent for a few months so I'm sure there'll be plenty of opportunity for all nighters under the stars with the 'scope and a full hip flask to keep you warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

what are you observing with

Im usin a 130mm reflector scope. It did get clearer later in the night, hopefully we'll get a few more clear nights to have a look at it again. So anything else i can use to see it better? (apart from a bigger scope :rolleyes: )

Originally posted by Redshift
    Try it again at 1am when there will be less atmospheric interferance to get in the way

Seeing was pretty dire all night from the wicklow hills. Ah well the cold frozty nights will be back soon... :/

Cheers,
    ~Al

• Advertisement

Originally posted by canker
    Im usin a 130mm reflector scope. It did get clearer later in the night, hopefully we'll get a few more clear nights to have a look at it again. So anything else i can use to see it better? (apart from a bigger scope :rolleyes: )

What brand of scope are you using as there can be a big differance in quality also what type and power eye piece where you using? I wouldn't worry too much, as albert said it wasn't a brilliant night for viewing. I was using a 90mm refrator last night and I got some reasonable viewing in, the surface features weren't great though.

Ryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Got to see Mars through me scope! couldnt make out any detail really(apart from some dark features, but no polar caps) because it was too low down and the bloody town lights/haze made it very hard.

But I did end up looking at Andromeda Galaxy for a good while. amazing being able to look back into the past!

Originally posted by sirpsycho
    Got to see Mars through me scope! couldnt make out any detail really(apart from some dark features, but no polar caps) because it was too low down and the bloody town lights/haze made it very hard.

Also the polar cap has shrunk quite a bit latley. Its not nearly as distinct as it was even a few weeks ago.

Cheers,
    ~Al

Advertisement