Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom ICMP services

• 27-08-2003 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Eircom have decided to block all icmp traffic due to the threat from the current flock of viruses.

No Ping, tracert etc.

seemingly their pop servers got hammered on friday and the ISDN routers in North Kildare were down Monday and most of tuesday.

I've had a lot of calls from customers with VPNs going down too.

hope this is the right forum, feel free to move it wherever is suitable.

No idea when or if they intend to reinstate these services in the future.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

ping mail1.eircom.net
    PING mail1.eircom.net (159.134.198.135) from 193.120.10.12 : 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from mail1.eircom.net (159.134.198.135): icmp_seq=0 ttl=57 time=129.831 msec
    64 bytes from mail1.eircom.net (159.134.198.135): icmp_seq=1 ttl=57 time=3.836 msec

Are you sure about that? Is it just customer interfaces?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Pinging mail1.eircom.net [159.134.198.135] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 159.134.198.135:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Checked and confirmed by eircom.net corporate tech support (as well as the eircom standard support line).

if you run a tracert to say www.google.com (216.239.33.99) it will time out after virtual.bas1.dbn.dublin.eircom.net (159.134.155.4)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

My ICMP traffic is blocked too both directions (I'm on i-stream enhanced). I just rang support and they have blocked it temporarily because of the recent viruses. It should be back later today, apparently.

/me searches for the salt shaker

.cg

well, they originally blocked it on friday afternoon and said they would be back for monday. On monday they said there was no way of knowing when it would be "safe" to reinstate them.

possibly sept 10th when sobig voids itself... though I didnt think sobig was an ICMP abuser... could be one of the other "minor" viruses that came out on thursday/friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

It has been blocked on my istream enhanced since Friday. Also tried dialup and its blocked too, however I do know people with ADSL that it works for and always did!

• Advertisement

Its back for me for the last while. So are we all virus free now or something ? ;)

.cg

seems to be back alright. Now I am free to ping away to my hearts content!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

The current situation is this:

DSL:
    No ICMP echo/echo reply blocking in place.
    Traceroutes (use UDP & ICMP ttl exceeded and port unreachable) were never blocked as Nachi doesn't use them.
    Blaster exploit ports are still blocked outbound to users.

Dial:
    ICMP echo/echo reply blocking still active.

Originally posted by Packet
    The current situation is this:

DSL:
    No ICMP echo/echo reply blocking in place.
    Not now, but it was.

Traceroutes (use UDP & ICMP ttl exceeded and port unreachable) were never blocked as Nachi doesn't use them.
    Yes they were.

.cg

Advertisement