Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP2500+ Vs XP2600+

• 27-08-2003 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

I've noticed in a few threads that amd's xp2500 had been recommended over the 2600. Does everyone agree with this?

Is the lower clock speed offset by the larger amount of L2 cache?

What would you buy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

The Barton is the better chip... the bigger cache does make a nice impact plus with the right cooling and a simple overclock it'll easily go up to around the xp3000 mark (or 2.1GHz).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Thanks for the quick reply, i don't know much bout overclocking if i didn't overclock the chip would the xp2500+ in your opinion still be better?

If i was to overclock, would a decent air cooler do and i could i just change the multiplier or fsb in the bios of a decent motherboard to get the frequency you mentioned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

Heres my 2 cent, Go with the 2500, the barton core is much better for oc'ing than the 2600 and cheaper too so with a little tweaking the 2500 will out preform the 2600 in most cases i can only push the 2600 to 2405 mhz (2600 with fsb 333mhz is 2083 at stock) but thats without fine tuning, from what i hear the 2500 would have done more, but i followed the uneducated mans logic i.e If it costs more its better.
    Dev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

I would definetly agree, Xp2500+ is a great chip - wheather overclocking or not IMO. In a good few benches iver seen the Xp2500+ (stock) performs better than the Xp2600+ .

If your overclocking, there are very few Xp2500's that wont reach Xp3200 level. Get some good cooling, and you will have pretty sweet performance . You will prob have to increase the Vcore voltage to keep her stable at that speed, but thats what the coolings for :) .

Advertisement