Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disciplining your dog?

Options
  • 27-08-2003 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭

I have a wee problem with my dog. He's pretty much still a puppy (1 y.o.) and hasn't figured out "the rules" fully yet.

Now, the main problem I have is that I want him to stick to the land around the house. We have plenty of space for him to wander about. But recently he has taken to wandering farther than we want him to, running into other people's lawns, neighbours' fields, that sort of thing. The fields are an especially big problem, as there are often cattle/sheep there, and my dog will chase anything that runs. I very much doubt the local farmers will bother taking the time to think that it's a red setter having some fun, and not a fox trying to kill their livestock. You see my problem, yes?

Thing is, I don't know how to stop him, short of keeping him on a leash every time I let him out. For other "transgressions", I usually give him a wee slap on the nose, but in this case I have to call him back before I can tell him anything. Smacking him for coming back will surely make him think that coming when called is a bad thing, and it'll get worse.

Anyway, sorry for the verbose post. Does anyone have any suggestions on teaching my dog not to wander where I don't want him to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Odin

Training a dog to stay within 'boundaries' of his own accord can be time consuming and takes alot of patience. Being young he is naturally inquisitive and wants to find out about the 'world'.

I would suggest starting by taking him outside and showing him the 'limits' whilst on a lead. Then let him off and everytime he 'puts a foot accross the limit' call him to get his attention then slap your thigh and call him to you, if he doesn't come straight awy run in the opposite direction - he will think it's a game and chase you (never chase him let the 'game' be to chase you) once he gets to you give lots of praise and 'fuss' and tell him he is a good boy. Do this on a regular basis and always praise if he goes to the boundary and stops there.

As an aside try never to tap a dog on the nose due to the sensitivity of that particular organ in canines, use a stern voice to reprimand and then ignore them - being social animals they don't like being 'snubbed' or 'disapproved of by their mentor'.

Have fun training - and take your time it will pay imense dividends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Hmm.

Makes sense.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

A small rap to the bridge of the dogs nose will not damage the pup. If you do not use some force at times the pup will learn to ignore you. If you watch bitches with their pups you will see that she will warn first and then reprimand with "force" , this is done firmly and quickly as soon as the transgression is made. To do this she will either nip him or grab the pups muzzle in her mouth and push him to the ground into a submissive position growling as she does so. Most times the pup is screaming to high heavens knowing that he has pushed mommy dearest a bit to far this time but he will quickly learn NOT to repeat his mistake. If she did not discipline the pup he will soon do whatever he please without remorse thinking it was his "godgiven" right and also soon become a menace to family and pack. Once he is older then USUALLY a vocal warning and "look" is enough to reprimand. But make no mistake ..... dogs do use "force" when neccessary :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Scorpionstar

I have six rescue dogs which on is a puppy. I train all my dogs on the advice given in The Dog Whisperers Book which I found extremely useful.

Even the hard not believed to be trainable dogs I trained on basis of the book.

I know it sounds a bit unusual perhaps to read a book first to train a dog / puppy which should be used by our own instinct but even though it does work - well for my dogs and me the alpha one anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

When I needed to train my German Shepard at my mothers house I used old magazines. They are more scared of the actual noise it makes slapping against their bums then of the actual slapping part. Also, A lady that I once knew that trained show Great Danes used a squirt bottle with a touch of lysol (sp?) in it. There is something in the lysol that dogs can't stand to have up their muzzles. All the woman had to do was show that dane the squirt botttle and it would straighten right up.
    Good luck. And I hope the pup don't get into to much trouble.

• Advertisement
Advertisement