Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hotmail spams

Options
  • 27-08-2003 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭

guys anyone else getting bombarded with e-mail from hotmail, jab.org addies with pif attachments to them , i presume this is the so big virus, as everyone of them has the subject line thank you or re that video, havent touched them just deleted them, but tis getting ridiculous my inbox is getting completely full of this rubbish

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

yep its teh sobig.f virus.

have a look at

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sobig.f@mm.html

for details of the emails and their attachments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

I just got the sobig removal tool from symantec and it found and removed the thing, strange how my currently up to date norton anti virus with all the latest virus definitions didnt pick up on it

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

With or without the 'sobig' virus, hotmails spam city anywayz. I'm currently weaning myself off my hotmail useage to other free email accounts that offer bigger mailboxes and no spam! ie. mail15.com

the virus came into my outlook express directly, ive removed the virus safely, but in the last 2 hours ive received 175 e-mails with the virus on it, ive deleted all of em

please tell me theres summit i can do to stop the e-mails altogether, i have a spam filter but its still coming through, its driving me nuttz

symantec reckons that itll be 10th of september that the virus will be made inactive, but i cant keep deleting the damn things till then

shin

you'll have to unless you can find a way to block the *.pif attachment. I'd also throw in a block for the *.scr attachment.

not sure how to block specific attachments though....

• Advertisement

i found an e-mail blocker last night called the spam nulifier, useful little prog, it scans any e-mail coming in and deletes it if its part of the filters ive set.

which is good , because all i needed to do was set the filter to *@whatever.com and it deletes it before it ever gets to my inbox, ive had nothing since

yipppeeee

shin

If it's Sobig virus, then the person who is listed as sending it is actually just a randomly grabbed email address from the actually infected system.

Does the blocker have a filter for attachments?

it hasnt got a filter for attachments, ive had to go the whole hog and just block all e-mail from hotmail and ant other e-mail addy the virus came in from

it scans the account before the e-mail arrives in and deletes it if its one of the addresses specified.

doesnt matter to mme that ive blocked all e-mails, i know no one on those addresses anyways

Shin

Advertisement