Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

On the spot fines?

Options
  • 27-08-2003 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the on the spot fine for speeding is now. My sister is doing her theory test, she asked me but I didn't know. The book of questions she has is pre-euro & therefore has amounts in £'s. The book says £50 which makes it €63.49. Doubt thats the right amount, its probably gone up, anyone know any different?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I **think** it is as follows:

Speeding: €85
    No seat belt €60
    Otehrs €25

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

fines should be staggered depending on how much over the limit you were going. eg. 10 - 20 over - €30 fine, 21 - 30 - €50 fine etc etc. It's a bit rediculous is someone is done for doing 50 in a 40 zone and gets fined the same as someone doing 70 in a 40 zone.

Originally posted by LFCFan
    gets fined the same as someone doing 70 in a 40 zone.
    I suspect you are going straight to court for this without the option of a fixed fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Bit off-topic this but I can't see why the theory test would need to include a question like "How much is the fine for speeding?"

I had very little idea of how much the fine was until Victor posted (I thought it was about 80 or 100). Do I drive any different? Er, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Speeding is €80+2points and goes up by 50% to €120+4 points if not paid within 28 days, after that u go to court or summit, or so the nice man said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭spuddy

thanks for all the info, she did the test today (but the speeding fine question didn't come up)

Originally posted by sceptre
    Bit off-topic this but I can't see why the theory test would need to include a question like "How much is the fine for speeding?"
    It brings to the fore that speeding is a major problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by spuddy
    thanks for all the info, she did the test today (but the speeding fine question didn't come up)

Did she pass? Also wondering did she get any other awkward questions coz i'll be doing my test shortly. Oh and how long did it take them to call her to do the test. I sent off the form with the money three months ago and i havn't heard a word from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

What centre did you apply to do your test in Denis?

For the practical exam, you'll get a rough idea of waiting times here.

(waiting times really have increased dramatically - I did mine in Mallow 18 months ago when the waiting time was 9 weeks)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Why I don't understand is why i have to know questions about driving a tractor with a trailer over a humped-back bridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Because you get a W (Tractor) licence thrown in when you pass your car test. There's no way to opt out of it :)
    Though, I don't think any driving tester is going to ask you questions about tractors before your car test, you just have to know that sh1te for the theory test.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭spuddy

Originally posted by denis_o_leary
    Did she pass? Also wondering did she get any other awkward questions coz i'll be doing my test shortly. Oh and how long did it take them to call her to do the test. I sent off the form with the money three months ago and i havn't heard a word from them.

She did, 40/40 so full marks. She said it was very straight forward, no awkward questions, and she did it in about 20mins (half the time you're alowed)

You can do a training session for 15mins on the machine before you start the test to get used to how it operates, but its all touch screen so nothing too difficult. They don't call you, you phone them and book the test. She had about a weeks wait from when she booked (Dublin centre on Parnell St). You need a credit card (not sure bout laser) to book.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

OK thanks for the info. Oh and well done to your sister!

Advertisement