Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work excuses?

• 27-08-2003 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭

Apologies if there is a thread already like this.

I have to go England next week for a second interview and obviously I don't want my current employers to know.

Getting the day off isn't a problem it's just that they are interested people and will wonder why I'm taking a Wednesday off.

For the first interview I told them the day before that I was going to be helping a friend move appartment the next day - so that one has been used. Does anyone else have any good suggestions / things that have worked in the past?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭marrakesh

dentist appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

you could always just ring in sick(which gives you loads of scope for what to tell them), but this may not work if their so interested that they'll drop round to yours to see if your ok.

otherwise you could say that something important/large (ie so large that they cant say just have it delivered to the office) like mabye a fridge is being delivered to your house & there is no one else who can sign for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Tell them there's something very important you have to do and you can't tell them at the moment but in a few weeks you'll tell them. And the beauty is with any luck you won't even be lying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I was going to do the sick thing for the first interview. The problem there is that I will be ringing from England and most likely a noisy airport. The though of having the last call for Flight FR... to Knock being called out over the speakers in the background put me off that idea:D

An appointment is a great idea but I shouldn't really need the whole day for the dentist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭DUX

Hi..... tell them an old friend of yours is coming over from Tokyo for a business trip and will stay in Dublin only one day :-)

By the way, maybe you can give me an advice: I have been looking for a job in IT in London for a couple of months and I have got only 1 interview so far (over the phone).... living in Dublin I believe it is fair enough to ask to have at least the first interview done over the phone..... am I asking too much? Should I be willing to fly over as you did even for a first interview?
    This seems to have been somewhat of a problem in my job search....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

My girlfriend doesn't want to have to go to the STD clinic on her own.

No way on earth they're going to pry into that one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

DUX:

Jobserve.com and planetrecruit.com are both good sites for jobs in England.

Normally yes, telephone interview first. A few years ago it was great - most companies would reimburse you for the flight. IT companies are not as strong at the moment so unless they really want you the expenses will fall on you.

From a telephone interview, or even just an informal conversation it gives both sides a chance to see whether it should proceed further, they are generally happy to do it that way (in my experience anyway).

Other than that I haven't got too much advice on getting the interviews. Post your CV on as many sites and although they are evil, don't snub the agencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

"my mother's been taken into hospital"...

Its not nice to say it, but it works and the boss doesn't pry into your story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Here are a
    list of excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by p.pete

An appointment is a great idea but I shouldn't really need the whole day for the dentist?

You will if you say it's for a Root Canal:D

But the delivery one is good too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

tell them you have bad case of the clap

Advertisement