Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Makelele joining CFC in 48 hrs

• 27-08-2003 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

according to Sky S News, the final piece in the jigsaw a great capture.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

I heard that too...

Good signing for CFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

That's great news, I'll live to regret it when Liverpool don't get a CL place again but the whole fantasy football thing is really exciting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

so that is,
    new
    6 midfeilders
    2 strikers

and old

the best alround defence in the premiership,
    looks like Reneari knows what he is at...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by smuckers
    the final piece in the jigsaw
    I think they are going too far in signing midfield players. Makelele is definitely one of the best midfielders but they should have sign him earlier and cancelled the transfers of one or two midfielders. They now have 11 top class midfielders worthy of a game at any level.
    Makelele, Frank Lampard, Joe Cole, Damien Duff, Mario Stanic, Geremi, Mario Melchiot, Emmanuel Petit, Juan Sebastian Veron, Boudewijn Zenden and Jesper Gronkjaer.

I don't think Ranieri does know what he's at. That is going to be a very unhappy squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

yes but with the premiership , champs league , fa and carling cups to be won we need a big squad in case of injuries and tiredness.

Maybe Chelsea could field and A and B team in the premiership aftera few years of this ? ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

the best alround defence in the premiership,

I think we should wait till the end of the current season before assuming once again...
    I think they are going too far in signing midfield players. Makelele is definitely one of the best midfielders but they should have sign him earlier and cancelled the transfers of one or two midfielders. They now have 11 top class midfielders worthy of a game at any level.

I think its quite good he is doing that. He is turning it into an Italian team in the sense of having a massive squad to pick from. I definitely see problems arising out of this to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Well at this present time with the exception of Manu Petit CFC don't have a natural ball winner thats what he is, Veron and Cole were bought to replace Morris and De Lucas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

Some of those midfielders will probably be off-loaded.

Wouldn't surprise me if Stanic and Zenden for two have played their last game for Chelsea. Makelele is a very good buy. It will probably take a bit of juggling to keep all those punters happy, but hell, it beats not having enough players :)

Zenden v likely to leave, dunno about Mario S though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

If they sign Makelele, what was the point of sihning Smertin?

• Advertisement

I heard that Smertin is going out on loan - any truth in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep Smertin is out on loan to Pompey for 12 months. Chelsea are buying for next year as well. Starting to get a bit worried now :p

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Smertin was probably purchased for the owner to have a russian interest in the squad. Chelsea definitly putting a first class squad together . It may even benefit everyone with more top quality teams of equal strength capable of taking points off each other.
    Exciting times ahead me thinks.

The latest thoguh Sky S have huge egg on their face said he as joining 4 yesterday.

MAKELELE ARRIVES IN LONDON
    Friday 29th August 2003

Makelele: In London

More Football stories:

Ruud relishing Rangers
    Huckerby seals drab City win

Top Scorers
    Tables
    Fixtures
    Cup results/draws
    Opta Stats

Sky Sports News understands Claude Makelele is to have a medical at Chelsea today after Real Madrid agreed a £13.8 million pound fee for the midfielder.
    Chelsea and Real Madrid officials were believed to have met after the Champions League draw in Monte Carlo on Thursday.

The 30-year-old, angry he is the lowest-paid player at Real, has told his Real Madrid teammates he no longer wants to play for the Spanish champions.

He has two years left on his contract and could earn £50,000 a week with Chelsea.

His arrival would take the west London club's spending to over £100 milion since Russian oil billionaire Roman Abramovich paid £140 million for the London club in July.

Chelsea are also set to add yet another player to their growing squad by signing Tottenham goalkeeper Neil Sullivan.

Scottish international Sullivan will be released by Spurs and is set to undergo a medical at Stamford Bridge today, according to Tottenham's official website, www.spurs.co.uk. The deal is subject to personal terms being agreed.

Sullivan, who had been playing as number two to Kasey Keller, will provide back-up for Carlo Cudicini if he completes his move across London.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

looks like chelsea's plans for a 0-9-1 formation are progressing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

How many quality midfielders does 1 team need?

tut tut Kaids, jesus with the exception of Petit there is no natural ball winner in mid the signing of Makelele will give us a variety of options especially in the CL.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Len

then we will be complete.

all will tremble before us.

(and man U will still get the silver):(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Originally posted by Len
    (and man U will still get the silver):(

Well atleast you realise that at the end of the day Man U will win again and yer money wont have got ye the league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Len

of course i do. it will take at least a full season to gel.

then we will dominate for the next 10 years. Ferguson will retire. Man U will fall to bits and merge with leeds as they plummet down the divisions.;)

serioulsy though, what our money did buy was;
    the most interesting run in to the start of any season i can remember.
    some fantastic young fellas
    some fantastic oul fellas
    a team that will give any team a good game
    a squad capable of playing in the PL and CL with an embarresment of riches on the bench.

Remember, if we finish 4th for 3 years and then finally win the league in the 4th year we will still have 'bought' the title

• Advertisement

The deal is unlikely to happen now apparantally he wants a slice of the transfer fee seems like the agent put him to it.

The deal is unlikely to happen now apparantally he wants a slice of the transfer fee seems like the agent put him to it.
    I find that incredible, and very greedy. If the Chelsea deal falls through nobody else will buy him (for that money) and he is never going to see that pay rise he wants so dearly.

If the deal doesn;t go through he's gonna call a press conf and retire that was in one of the spanish papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If the deal doesn;t go through he's gonna call a press conf and retire that was in one of the spanish papers.
    that should be fun:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

makele HAS SIGNED KIDS AND BIRCH SAID THAT WILL BE ALL

GK

Johnson, CB , CB, Bridge

Veron, Makelele

Geremi
    Duff

Mutu

Crespo

I like the look of that, I don't think they need any more players for the moment, their substitute squad was capable of getting into the CL last season so realisticly they now have the strongest squad in the league. Arsenals first 11 is still possibly stronger but over the season I think Chelsea could find things easy.

Well thats a wrap the deal was done 33 mins before the transfer deadline in Spain Valdano says it was a misunderstanding re the percentage yea right and Emile Heskey is going to become the new Pele LOL.
    A magnificant signing a ball winner techically good and fast.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

bleh there signings arent really as good as they could be, arsenal still have a stronger first team

they will still get spanked by arsenal and man u

they will stumble through liverpool and newcastle games

they will lose points to teams like blackburn , man city , southampton

they will finish 3rd / 4th

I never knew CFC played Gooners and Utd yet when did they play? LOL saying they are gonna be spanked is very premature, everyone thought Utd would destory Soton and look what happend the utd players never showed up.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JohnnyBravo

we always beat utd at old trafford and they beat us at stamford bridge its tradtion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

They wont be beating US at stamford bridge this season.

Advertisement