Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

small theatre - AV suggestions please?

• 27-08-2003 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi
    a friend wants to set up a small public multimedia/exhibition space- with a main display of max. 8 feet wide by 6 high, for viewing by about 30 people at a time.
    Can anyone recommend projectors that would give a high quality image... preference would probably be to project onto the wall rather than a flexible screen, unless that would reduce quality in some way.
    Also a complete DVD/video hardware playing kit & sound system is required.
    The system should handle displaying Powerpoint or other computer applications just as easily as DVD or VHS.
    The budget for display and sound is about 10,000.

Thx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 arlbb

thanks calibos for sharing

your holy ground

that thread was a great read.
    Would y'all agree that budget should go roughly as follows:
    pj - up to 3k
    amp 1k
    speakers 2 to 3k
    dvd/video or hdd player(s) - seems like hdd does both - 1k
    plus cabling etc

further q.s
    Is it possible to get some sort of central controller which switches both audio and visual components from one input source to another, as well as starting/stopping the output from different sources?
    I suppose i will just have a few remote controls for the different devices and control the computer via keyboard/mouse.
    Are there special requirements for enabling computer AV output in this type of setup... anyone got specific pointers?
    Anything else I should know?

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by arlbb
    Is it possible to get some sort of central controller which switches both audio and visual components from one input source to another, as well as starting/stopping the output from different sources?

Any decent programmable remote combined with the A/V receiver should do the trick (all audio & video switching is handled by the receiver)... mid-to-high end remotes can easily be programmed with macros (e.g. turn on dvd, play dvd, switch AV receiver to DVD input, set volume blah.. etc. etc.).
    Are there special requirements for enabling computer AV output in this type of setup... anyone got specific pointers?

no special requirements, any projector will gladly take a VGA input though that would make video switching between all inputs a bit trickier, s-video out might be a better solution (then you can connect pc->receiver), however I've never tried s-video out from a graphics card, so I wouldn't be sure of the resultant image quality.
    Anything else I should know?
    [/B]

what size room is this intended for? also bear in mind that a lot of speakers are generally for home stereo usage, and might not be suitable for large presentations (they might not throw the sound as wide as a large audience may need)... also a subwoofer might be in order if the room is rather large and if the presentations/videos require that extra bit of effect.

I'll post some more thoughts tomorrow when I have a bit more time..

thanks, the room is yet to be built but will hold 30 people seated.

So I see that what I've been referring to a an amp is known as an AV receiver.

Any suggestions for good models at the budget levels above would be fab.

Also will there be surround speakers? or will everything just be presented in stereo?

A good A/V receiver with Dolby Prologic II will do a fairly decent job of enhancing any stereo presentations into a surround mix, also if it is a fairly large room, something like that may be appropriate to reach everyone in the audience and fill the room.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AVJD

As a provider of AV equipment I would recommend the following.

Projector €4000 for a very good one (2500 lumens, XGA)
    or 2500 -3000 for a good one (c2000 lumens)
    Bracket (plus extension pole if required) €400/500
    Amp plus speakers €1000
    Cabling €300
    Electric screen €550
    Installation €700
    Mechanical AV Switcher €650 (optional)
    This will allow multiple computer, video inputs
    DVD €295 (multiregion)
    VCR €180
    For remote control you have 4 options
    1) the equipment remotes
    2) Philips Pronto (€500)
    3) Extron hardwired remotes (€2-4k spend)
    4) Crestron/AMX (€4-5k spend)
    If you want you can mail me directly (johnd@systemvideo.ie). Our show room is in Palmerstown.

Hi - thanks, thats useful

The amount you suggest spending on speakers seems low?
    1000 on speakers and amp? How much for the amp & how many speakers are you thinking?
    I would have thought extra speakers at the side & the back of the room would add greatly to the effect?

I should explain that the footage will be of wildlife / whales underwater ... so the sound system will have a big part in enhancing the experience for the audience

Yeah that 1grand estimate for speakers and an amp seems very small...

If sounds an intricate part of the presentation then a subwoofer and rear speakers are a must... you need to fill the room and get people interested, focused and involved.

Look at about 500 for some quality bi-polar rears and similar for a sub (depends on the room).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

1000 for an amp an speakers is decent budget.
    Sony ES (old model) amp for €250
    Complete Radium 5.1 speaker set €750

Richer sounds.

You could get better speakers but an ES amp will do the sound job no problems.

If he making presentations a plasma screen is a must simply for eyecandy they look superb.
    Think Samsung have a 42" for about 4k

DVD and VCR about €600 for decent models.

If the room isnt built get the cabling done before the wall is plastered maybe even get the speakers set into the wall.
    Again this is Eyecandy not seeing speakers is a nice effect.
    Cost about €400 for cabling and installing.

Plasma Tvs have inputs for PCs sometimes they cost extra unsure about Samsung.

And get the Philips remote mentioned above ,according to all reviews its superb.

So €6000 can i keep the change :)

Will get links for above during the day.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

1000 for an amp an speakers is decent budget.

Sorry, I do not agree.
    It all depends on what are your priorities and what you expect from that sustem to deliver.
    What you've said is not an axiom - it's what YOU think, therefore, from now on you should say :
    I think that 1000 for an amp.......

If you heard better set-ups and didn't think it's worth the extra money - fair enough, but it's YOUR call and not an axiom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ampee €379 Speakers €599

Nothing wrong with that Amp and speaker set.
    €978 total.

And that would be a very nice system.

kdjac

Advertisement