Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which TV weather forcast do you trust?

• 27-08-2003 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

By way of complimenting the How accurate is weather forecasting in the media? thread I thought I should enquire
    which TV forcast you watch and trust as opposed to watching and then saying "ha! thats completly different to X."

Vote now! :)

I voted RTE as they dont treat weather as entertainment (yet).

Mike.

Which forcast would you trust to plan a b-b-q by? 60 votes

RTE
    0% 0 votes
    TV3
    53% 32 votes
    TG4
    6% 4 votes
    BBC
    1% 1 vote
    ITV
    38% 23 votes
    Sky News
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Nor do the BBC. Sky News's graphics are accurate, but are they easy for the lay man to understand.

I voted for the BBC, as I still love the symbols!! 0.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg13.jpg14.jpg16.jpg17.jpg21.jpg20.jpg
    23.jpg
    25.jpg26.jpg28.jpg29.jpg
    4.jpg
    5.jpg6.jpg31.jpg32.jpg

:D

Edit: Natch, {IMG} code is off for this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I really hated it when they dummified the Network 2 weather. I presume it is still that way as I've given up watching it. When I did I was usually too distracted by trying to figure out in which department store I had seen the presenters' various glittery tops. :D

That said there seems to be fewer isobars/technical details etc. on the RTE 1 weather these days too...

I trust the ones presented by actual forecasters, like the RTE ones on six one or the nine news.

And the BBC one is usually quite accurate.

Speaking of symbols DMC.
    There was a clip of Michael Fish, I think on "twill be alright on the night" doing the weather years ago when they just stuck those symbols on a board map.
    He had put on a sunshine and showers symbol for an overnight forecast:D

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Damo I can only belive you were hit by 28.jpg at a vital point in your childhood! :D

Mike.

• Advertisement

Yay! IMG Codes on! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

outlook for the future: scattered showers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Just watched the Snowy condidions in the SE of England on the BBC Weather report, which suggested that the snow will move up the North coast of Britain, while also moving to SW England/ Wales & the East cost of Ireland by Tuesday.

Caught the RTE Weather report a couple of mins later, no real worries about the East coast of Ireland- maybe a few Snow flurries here or there, No weather warnings, nothing to worry about at all really . . .

I dunno who to believe, are the BBC over reacting? or RTE not putting enough emphasis into the forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Camelot wrote: »
    Just watched the Snowy condidions in the SE of England on the BBC Weather report, which suggested that the snow will move up the North coast of Britain, while also moving to SW England/ Wales & the East cost of Ireland by Tuesday.

Caught the RTE Weather report a couple of mins later, no real worries about the East coast of Ireland- maybe a few Snow flurries here or there, No weather warnings, nothing to worry about at all really . . .

I dunno who to believe, are the BBC over reacting? or RTE not putting enough emphasis into the forecast.

hey who stole my avatar :mad:...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The Beeb.

If they are right about this current cold period i should see at least some of that sacred white stuff by Thursday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

bbc all the way, met eireann proved they suck at it this week.

kerry1960 wrote: »
    hey who stole my avatar :mad:...:D

As Captain of the Enterprise, I order you to exchange your Avatar for another :))

I find the BBC Weather Reports more comprehensive than most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Yeah, but with the new maps the BBC seems to assume that no weather occurs outside the UK borders. They used to put up symbols for the Republic of Ireland, Northern France, Belgium, the Netherlands etc but, they seem to have adopted a rather narrowly UK-focus now.

Shame really, as it does serve an educational purpose to point out that there are other countries near by with towns, cities and weather and everything!

Sky's presenters also have a terrible habit of standing right in front of Ireland through most of the forecast, even though they officially do have a LOT of Irish viewers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Maybe everyone now has massive big wide 42 inch TVs and I'm just behind the times, but I find the RTE weather symbols for different types of precipitation too tiny to see any difference between them:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

The weather girl on TV am, is brutal... Think she should work in a creche...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

For Donegal's weather I would only trust BBC NI weather, RTE get it wrong more times than enough for up here

So now we have the answers to Post #9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Solair wrote: »
    Yeah, but with the new maps the BBC seems to assume that no weather occurs outside the UK borders. They used to put up symbols for the Republic of Ireland, Northern France, Belgium, the Netherlands etc but, they seem to have adopted a rather narrowly UK-focus now.

Shame really, as it does serve an educational purpose to point out that there are other countries near by with towns, cities and weather and everything!

Yeah, they also refer to the rest of the island as "to the south of northern ireland"

Advertisement