Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Leary's first mistake

• 27-08-2003 9:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

OK first of all let me say I back David O'Leary as manager and I didn't really expect anything at Highbury but I think O'Leary made his first big mistake.

The AVFC.co.uk said "Attack Attack Attack

David O’Leary will tell his players that attack is most definitely the best form of defence when they tackle on-fire Arsenal at Highbury tomorrow night.

The Gunners, who hammered Middlesbrough 4-0 on Sunday, go into the Villa clash with six points from six. And O’Leary today warned his players: “Sit back and they’ll thrash us.”

Ok I know we lost McCann through injury but what does he do only go and play 5 across the middle including Kinsella!! while Hitz the hammer and Vassell are left on the bench.

Call that attacking O'Leary I don't ****ing think so.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

he does have a point. sitting back will wear down the defence and goal fest. all out attack does give a better chance of scoring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    he does have a point. sitting back will wear down the defence and goal fest. all out attack does give a better chance of scoring

I know I agree, but my point was that wasn't what he done he fielded the most defensive side we have and wanted a draw so we got our ass kicked, don't know why he said one thing and did the other.

I don't mind losing but losing in that style we did tonight is embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

i dont actually agree with you irish1. I listened to the game on BBC Radio5 and by what the comentators were saying villa were playing well and they were praising O'leary's tatics.

And theres no way you can call it an ass kicking we actually scared Arsenal and held them scoreless till the 56th minute, so dont be that dissapointed. On a plus side Melberg and Whittigham played well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

watching the highlights i thought we played well o`leary was right to stick with the team we used against l`pool however i dont think bringing in kinsella for mccann was a good idea. Hitz would of been a good option for centre mid but he does very little work it would of required the other central midfielder to work twice as hard. His biggest strenght is his ability to shoot from long distances. Hes overrated lee hendrie was the same a couple of years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by irish1
    I know I agree, but my point was that wasn't what he done he fielded the most defensive side we have and wanted a draw so we got our ass kicked, don't know why he said one thing and did the other.

I don't mind losing but losing in that style we did tonight is embarrassing

I watched the boro game at the weekend and Viera and Gilberto totally dominated. I reckon O'Leary brought in Kinsella and a 5-man midfield to try counter these two. It very nearly worked by all accounts, but once Villa had to chase the game (and revert to a 4 man midfield) there was only going to be one outcome.

I think it was a brave move. O'Leary's alot more astute than people credit him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement