Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool - Tottenham (contains a spoiler or a nightmare!)

• 27-08-2003 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭

Once again absoleutly toothless, 2 points out of 9 even at this early stage is terrible and with the derby against an Everton team who are now the only team on merseyside playing decent football it will be a massive game on saturday. Didnt see the game but according to the commentary on $ky $ports 1 we created hardly any chances no real surprise there. I know it may take some time for everyone to get used to playing together but hell there hasnt been that many changes among the team.

Anything less that a win against Everton will be a disaster imho eevn though I know there is a long season to go but hell we are now 7 points behing Utd and Arsenal.

Now on the other hand this could be a cunning conspiracy by Houllier and the team to get the odds on them winning the league upto some great odds then turn on the style and play amazing football and win every last game 5-0!? What's that? "No?"oh......

:(:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

shocking - get Houllier out....

and he played with 5 forward players ffs...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven
    we are now 7 points behing Utd and Arsenal.

Not to mention 7 points behind Portsmouth. Are they on for an Ipswich or will they fall away in mid-November, never to resurface?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

a quote form www.liverpoolfc.tv
    A great attacking performance from the Reds but again the team fail to find the net and another two points are dropped to a spirited Tottenham team who were hanging on at the end

is this ture. well i'd put my house on it that its not. i cant see
    GH seen then end of this season. His 5 yr plan is turning into 6yrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Originally posted by pickarooney
    Not to mention 7 points behind Portsmouth. Are they on for an Ipswich or will they fall away in mid-November, never to resurface?

TBH in a bizarre way i hope they dont , I think it is good to see smaller clubs doing well. Just not better than liverpool is all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Sorry for the smiles but a Liverpool fan made a bet with me that Liverpool would finish above United! (Must not like money!)

Seriously Liverpool have serious problems, they are no where near championship contenders and play some of the most boring football to watch. GH has had his chance and if Liverpool are ever to win a title they must change manager and attitude.

If Liverpool fail to get a Champs League place this year(The UEFA is the european version of the Crappy Carling Cup) they will fall even further behind the top teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

why the hell is GH bringing on an average player in Vladimir Smicer and playing Biscan , while leaving out Murphy and Riise, does he just have a problem with playing good players especially wen they r playing well. Houllier out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

houllier is gone. i give him 4 more matches. even though liverpool don't sack managers that easy.

its not that we play bad or whatever, but do you hear his interviews?? the way he goes on is that this is all part of his cunning plan to win the league.

notice that houllier has not had the same starting lineup for 2 consecutive matches for nearly 2 years now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Stekelly
    why the hell is GH bringing on an average player in Vladimir Smicer
    Smicer is probably Liverpools best player at the moment. He had a super pre-season and he was the best player on the pitch tonight.

A big Houllier Out petition is whats needed, Its about time the board stopped sticking by him out of sentiment r whatever, they need to be a bit more ruthless like west ham. Fair enough they gave roeder time to recover from his illness, but thats where their responsibility ends so they sacked him, same should apply

Originally posted by eireboy
    Smicer is probably Liverpools best player at the moment. He had a super pre-season and he was the best player on the pitch tonight.

The way they have been playing lately, id probably be the best player if i got a gameand to be honest its a bit like the ireland set up at the min, whoever turns up for the game gets a game like in amateur football. At the end of the day Pre season friendlies count for nothing, its competitive games that count and nothing else. And why in gods name does Diouf feel he has to beat every opposing player every time he gets the ball instead of doing the simple thing, y do none of these playewrs take a look at some of the best players in the world, ie Roy Keane who is wiidely regarded as the best at what he does, and does so by doing the simple thing every time, no unnessesary (spelling?) flashness ever. He sticks to what he KNOWS he can do instead of trying flashy crap that 9 times out of 10 results in giving the ball away, i think a lot of players should study him closely ( are you listening Steven Gerrard!!!!!) and the (footballing ) world would be a better place. I can see this and im a Liverpool fan, but u cant help but admire a player like ROy Keane no matter who u follow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Originally posted by Stekelly
    A big Houllier Out petition is whats needed, Its about time the board stopped sticking by him out of sentiment r whatever, they need to be a bit more ruthless like west ham. Fair enough they gave roeder time to recover from his illness, but thats where their responsibility ends so they sacked him, same should apply

West Ham sacked Roder about 6 months too late, he should have gone at Christmas.

Liverpool should line up Houlliers replacement now but do it quietly, then 'promote' GH to director of football.

3 games (2 at home), 2 points, no goal from open play and no sign of any improvement over last year. If Liverpool fail to reach the champs league SG and MO will leave and Liverpool will become the new Spurs doomed to midtable midiocrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭kdevitt

why the hell is GH bringing on an average player in Vladimir Smicer and playing Biscan , while leaving out Murphy and Riise

They're both been crap in the first two games - didn't see last nights game, but by all accounts Murphy came on and once again played crap.

Liverpool normally suffer a crap spell ever season, hopefully this year its at the start of the season and we can progress from there...(wouldn't put my house on it though :( )

An appalingly low team morale has aparently carried over from the end of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

If Liverpool fail to reach the champs league SG and MO will leave and Liverpool will become the new Spurs doomed to midtable midiocrity.

Isnt that where they are already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

All the reports are saying that Liverpool did adopt a more attacking style last night. I don't exactly no where Kewell played but it looks like it was behind the front two.

I think one of the problems is that after all the hype of Kewell arriving and Liverpool's decent pre-season, there was a feeling of confidance going into the season. Then after losing to Chelsea with a poor performance, the heads dropped. Also the lack of a goal from play could also put a dampner on things. I think that what GH said is right. When the goal comes (hopefully on Sat) it will bring the spirit back. Then maybe they can get back to playing like they can play (and maybe with more flair). Players like Kewell and Owne thrive on goals and playing well. Once the open play goal comes I think both those players will be boosted. I'm taking this assumption on the recation on Kewell's face that was shown on the news this morning. He looked completely dejected. And who would blame him. The forward players have not scored yet and when you have those players you expect to be scoring not doing it then confidance has to be low.

A good win on Saturday and some more of the football that was reported to be played last night and then we might get going finally.

PS: I won't call for GH's head until after I've given him this last chance i.e to the end of the season to show a remarkable improvement in the team's performances. Although after sending Babbel out on loan and reports saying Vignal is doing the same thing in the direction of Lennes then he needs to completely rethink what he is about:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

I'm a fan myself, but I really think the reserve team could have done better...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 no1lfcfan

I think this sums up how I feel!!!!!

Sing to the tune of 'Yesterday':

Houllier, passing football seems so far away, Now the long ball game is all
    we play, What's wrong with grass O Houllier?

Suddenly we're not half the team we used to be, Now that pass and move is
    history, I blame it all on Houllier

Now it's time to go, you must know O Houllier, You've done most things wrong
    and stayed too long O Houllier

Houllier, we are all afraid you're here to stay
    And we read the papers everyday
    Cringing at the things you say

We'll lose Michael Owen if you stay O Houllier
    That would break our hearts please go way O Houllier

Houllier, if we lose against the Spurs today
    We hope it's the last game you play
    You're history O Houllier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

A big Houllier Out petition is whats needed, Its about time the board stopped sticking by him out of sentiment r whatever, they need to be a bit more ruthless like west ham.

Don’t be so ridiculous. If the West Ham board hadn’t have been impatient and desperate for a quick solution, they never would have sacked Harry Redknapp and never would have been relegated in the first place.

Personally I was encouraged by last night’s display. I think the manager put the right team out and they, up to a point, did well. However, this should only be the start - I just hope that Houllier keeps his bottle and sticks by this the same 11 for the Everton game. Half of our problem is the fact that the team is chopped and changed every week - Houllier should start with the 11 that started last night for the next four or five games, even if results do go against us. There is too much quality and attacking prowess in that starting line-up for things not to work themselves out, all we need now is a bit of stability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

lads,
    as always, your views are all inacurate and as usual, stuck somewhere up your arses.

the fact of the matter is they were outplayed by a classy spurs team, who were unlucky not to score.

the fact of the matter is they were outplayed by a classy spurs team, who were unlucky not to score.

Classy? Spurs? Hehehehehehe, that's a good one. The game was 50-50 up until half-time, after that Spurs were just over-run and only the combination of some sloppy finishing and stout Spurs defending kept them in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Only saw the highlights but they did look to be playing more attacking football and gerrard was unlucky not to score. A defeat at Everton could spell the end for GH .

Is there any truth in the rumour that Mick Mc Carthy has been approached as a possible replacement now that hes on a roll.
    :)

• Advertisement

Sing to the tune of 'Yesterday':

And as for that, well there's a song that's sung on the Kop quite alot that fits the current situation better, it starts like this: "When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high, and don't be afraid of the dark, at the end of the storm, is a golden sky, and the sweet silver song of the lark". Something that a number 1 Liverpool fan should realise. I mean there's no point in singing the song if you don't believe in the words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 no1lfcfan

I agree super_furry and believe me I have sang that song many a times on the kop from the heart. The point of the matter is Houllier is not doing the business with the team. Whats with not starting Murphy and Riise??

Even Phil Thompson could do a better job with the team than him!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Whats with not starting Murphy and Riise??
    I was glad GH dropped those two for the Spurs game. The 2 of them are way out of sorts and have been playing poorly since the back end of last season. Murphy turns it on once every 5 or 6 games, Riise is on a plateau at the moment. He burst onto the scene, looked the part, now he's just going thru the motions. He cannot pass and he's terrified of taking on defenders. How Le Tallec wasn't playing when it was obvious we needed some craft in midfield I'll never know. GH took off Smicer, who is looking quite sharp, and replaced him with out-of-form Murphy. IMO Le Tallec shoud be playing every home game, not warming the bench looking at the back of Houllier's fat head.

YNWA

Advertisement