Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mobile phone kit for car

Options
  • 27-08-2003 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

Yes, I know you can get them anywhere, but just what types are available? Most people I know just get a hands free kit for talking in the car, then don't use it. But most of them are just a holder for the phone aren't they?

I heard about a guy who has it plugged into his stereo, so when he answers the phone, it automatically turns off the radio/CD and pipes the call through the stereo speakers. He also has a pair of mikes in the steering wheel and in the dash in front of the passenger seat. It's all topped off with voice activated dialing so he never has to touch the phone, though that last one is probably a function of the phone rather than the car-kit.

I tried asking for this is a auto accessory shop today and the guy looked at me like I was from another planet. Is this a custom built thing, or is it widely available?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Any car kit has the capabilities of muting the radio if the radio has the tel. mute feature.
    If it doesn't then a simple relay diagram will turn the radio off altoghether.
    Bringing the sound through the front speaker is possible as well as we could use a special designed interface which activate when the phone rings or you make a phone call.

Voice dialing is a feature that the phone must have.

Hope this help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Blitzie

I've a full Nokia car kit (bless work) which consists of phone holder/charger, phone speaker, phone mic and ariel, all permanently wired behind the dash facia. It is all connected to the radio so to mute the radio when a call is in progress. This is as far as I know fairly standard for a proper car kit.

The muting does require a compatible radio, but I think most modern cars have that now. The voice dialing would be a function of the phone.

It takes about 30-45mins for the kit to be fitted, but I've no idea of cost. Rather than trying a motor factors, you'd be better talking to a phone retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

If your phone has bluetooth (e.g. nokia 6310i or the newer sony ericsson phones) you could get a parrot 3000 carkit, it's the business, no wires nothing to see, plugs in between your radio so the sound comes out your speakers and mutes you radio when you get a call, totally voice activated. Once you get into the car it just connects automatically over bluetooth. Pretty easy to install as well.

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=PAR_CK3000

http://www.driveblue.com/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Any idea how much those Bluetooth car kits are in Ireland sirlinux?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Not a clue, ive had mine a long time, got it from expansys, the company website list an agent in ireland:
    PEKAAR Technology

Address: 2A Convent road, Dun Loaghaire
    Phone: 00353 1 2178630
    Email: phelim@pekaartech.com
    Web:
    City: Co DUBLIN
    PEKAAR Technology

You could try them, otherwise expansys are pretty damn good. They will have it shipped to you in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

ToxicPaddy wrote:
    Any idea how much those Bluetooth car kits are in Ireland sirlinux?
    I just order a Parrot CK3000 Evolution from expansys.ie, €130 delivered n all. My Dad has the kit in his car and it really is the business. You can set a magic word. When the system hears the magic word, it activates the voice dialling feature of your phone making the system completely handsfree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I know its more expensive but the parrot 3100 is brill. With the display you get to see who is calling. I got them for €150 each delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 kika

I got a bluetooth handsfree kit in halfords installed n'all for 150. Neat job and has d'mute function n runs thru d radio speakers. used to have a nokia kit that knocked off the radio but then had its own crappy little speaker.

My brother got a radio online that has bluetooth built in. If u got 550 euro to spare they're the biz. Pioneer I think. shows battery n signal strength and the lot!

edit: just found it here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i want that cd player!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

sirlinux wrote:
    If your phone has bluetooth (e.g. nokia 6310i or the newer sony ericsson phones) you could get a parrot 3000 carkit, it's the business, no wires nothing to see, plugs in between your radio so the sound comes out your speakers and mutes you radio when you get a call, totally voice activated. Once you get into the car it just connects automatically over bluetooth. Pretty easy to install as well.

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=PAR_CK3000

http://www.driveblue.com/

Bluetooth car kits are handy and convenient, but I prefer something that charges the phone too. With the Nokia kit, I never have to worry about the battery going :)

DC.

• Advertisement

Pataman wrote:
    I know its more expensive but the parrot 3100 is brill. With the display you get to see who is calling. I got them for €150 each delivered.
    Yeh the display on the 3100 is sweet alright but you gotta find somewhere to mount it etc.
    3000 Evo works well with my Dads T610i cause if the incoming caller is in his address book & he has a voice tag associated with it, it announces who is calling

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

how reliable is bluetooth?
    is the connection and sound just the same as if you were talking straight into the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

draffodx wrote:
    is the connection and sound just the same as if you were talking straight into the phone?

I use bluetooth and find it great. I don't notice any difference in quality. In fact I would say that conversations are easier in the car as you don't need to raise your voice.

draffodx wrote:
    Never have any problems with the connection. Sound quality is comparable to that of any car kit. In my Dad's car kit, a few times he's rang me and I've had to ask was he using the car kit or not so it's quite good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I have to say I've always said and advised anyone to get a Nokia car kit but I installed a Sony Erricsson Blue Tooth CK a few weeks back and its by far the best on the market at the moment. At little bit more expensive but I'd say worth it in the long run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

a little OT but same kinda question

i have a old style nokia (6210\5210 style)car in fully built into the car(like that when bought)

i have the newer type nokia phone -6230- so this wount fit in the cradle, can just the cradel be replaced or deos the whole thing have to come out and a new one fitted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Yep the whole thing has to come out. If you've got bluetooth you won't really need a cradle though. It's an extra to buy a cradle for the car kit now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

a little OT but same kinda question

i have a old style nokia (6210\5210 style)car in fully built into the car(like that when bought)

i have the newer type nokia phone -6230- so this wount fit in the cradle, can just the cradel be replaced or deos the whole thing have to come out and a new one fitted?

No it doesent call into any carphone warehouse and theY will sell you this adaptor and it works fine Carphone Warehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hmm thats neat, I was going to replace the Cradle with the CR23 and use the Cable CA55 to convert the pop port phone to the old carkit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

mike i owe you a pint! best device ever! just ordered one!

• Advertisement
Advertisement