Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE PLAYER OUT FRIDAY.

Options
  • 21-04-1999 9:35pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There is a large (3 page I believe) write up on the teams trip to the north (and the lan itself). Plus a lot of other online coverage.

DeVore.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

How much is it?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its 3-4 quid I think. I have to say I was expecting ".ie" for games but it seems fairly clued in and a decent production level too.

DeV.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Twas £2.95 last issue if I remember correctly.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

they've probably had to up the price to cover the cost of devore writing for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Yes, it's 2.95... and yes, that is an utterly ridiculous amount for a magazine with so few pages and so little of a clue.

Their online games coverage is fairly good - getting Tom to write for them is a nice move, even if they're too cheap to pay him. I've just about managed to persuade the editor at G4 that online gaming is the way forward (the modem in Dreamcast helped... be prepared for the influx of console gamers to the netgames world as of next autumn!) so we'll be covering more and more online stuff as well. This month there's a feature on net gaming (pitched at newbies, admittedly) and Starsiege Tribes is wheeled out as our game of the month, among various other netty things.

I'm currently trying to arrange a few interesting net-related things for the magazine... You may all wish to sit up and take note as of next issue.

Oh yeah, and we only cost 1.50, we have more pages, we've got much better competitions etc, no filler rubbish (crap made-up interview with Solid Snake written by someone who never played the game anyone? Well the Player had it last issue if yer interested...) and a far larger reviews section, with much more up-to-date reviews... Not to mention considerably more informed reviewers, as opposed to refugees from the national newspapers as are to be found in certain other publications...

And before ye all complain, if Dev can issue shameless plugs, then so can I.

Mata ne!
    Rob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

The Player has a more striking logo though, has to be said. smile.gif What does "G4" *mean* anyways? More red I say.

*ducks*
    Teeth.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

oooooh! Saucy of milk for table 8! MeeeooW!

Shinji, I really dont care what they are like. I am more interested in what they can do for us. Since they were the first to contact me regarding a feature and they give me somewhere to plug online gaming (and the team in general) I think they are a *good thing*.

If G4 had rang me and expressed an interest I would be writing for ye now smile.gif

I think your analysis is a lickle bit biased but as you say, if I can plug an issue so can you (plug != degrade opposition).

Frankly The Player are trying very hard to source us machines and sponsorship for the team so if they want a few pics and words from my good self I dont mind if I dont get paid. Its not like I've ever been slow to voice my opinion smile.gif

I'm sorry for you as a journo cos I understand that I am undercutting your livelihood but my concern is getting good things for the team so my focus is a little different.

I'd be happy to write for G4 as well but Ic an see the um,.. difficulties inherent in that.

Try and see things from my pov, to see my reasoning behind my approach...

love and hugs and a zergling down your back...
    DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Dev

Us G4 readers arent intrested in your 19 century games curlydav.gif

£1.50 too - the spare 1.45 can be used as a deposit on a pint smile.gif

Vaggabond

Shinji can I have that £10 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭KinDreD

PLAYER is faeg.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

"Us G4 readers arent interested in your 19 century games" - then dont reply to his post, DUH

i think ill just go and stare at some 1600*1200 still picture for 2 hours to practice for tribes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Dev....

Yes, it's a little biased. And yes, you're undercutting my way of making a living. smile.gif

To be honest, G4 didn't want to run with the Team.ie stuff after the Player did their page on it in the 2nd issue, because it would have looked like us picking up their shirttails. Similarly, it would be very hard for us now to get you to write as a (paid! tongue.gif) columnist, much as I'd like to, because it'd look like us taking rejects from the Player.

It's a shame really, there's money set aside to finance sending someone to Scotland to do a report on the games in Edinburgh... I had mentioned that we should send you, so we could get a well written report and be seen to be supporting the team at the same time, but I guess now I'll have to go instead... tongue.gif

How and ever, to be brutally honest.... Q1 doesn't really interest us that much any more. It's a very minority interest, and when you're selling 18000 copies, you don't go crawling on your hands and knees to get an additional fifty. So while as a Quake player I think the Player are great for supporting Quake so much... as a journalist I think they're off their rockers, because it's a dying horse that they're flogging.

We're much more interested in Tribes, Quake2, Quake3, Unreal Tournament, Starcraft.... purely because those are the games that our readers are interested in. And we are looking at getting involved in organising LAN events, online tournaments and other things in the near future... Probably not through direct financial aid, because we're not exactly rolling in it, but by acting as organisers and facilitators and promoters.

By the way Dev, you're too highly strung this week... and I just discovered the joys of two troops of well-upgraded marines attacking in a pincer movement on a Zerg base.... Awww! Ikkle dying pretties! If you can spare any to send down my back, feel free... tongue.gif

(They'll all run away at the sight of my shirt tho... "Bright Light! Bright Light!")

And Vagga.... Your cheque is in the post. Goo laa.

Mata ne!
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

Are G4 based in bray?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

heh

Advertisement