Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lets get this sorted

• 28-08-2003 5:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭

Im seriously thinking of learning japanese. Apart from leaving cert french and being an irish speaker I have no real experience in languages, so maybe im really jumping in at the deep end. At the moment im living in holland and know a little dutch but not much, for some reason japanese really takes my fancy and am even thinking about going to live in japan for a while. Ive just started the lessons at http://www.japanese-online.com/LANGUAGE/index.htm
    And im totally blown away so far, I really like this language. These lessons are really basic but have given me a real interest in going for it properly. Id like to see this forum kicking a bit, It would be good to start a little community and share knowledge. Ill be moving back home to galway at christmas, So if a group of us is interested in meeting up or just sharing more info that would be cool, I think we could start a good small comunity. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Digi_Tilmitt

Nice avatar, ayumi rox0rz! A bit more information on japanese courses and general stuff like that would certainly be welcome around here methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

http://www.dcu.ie/prospects/prospectus/deginfo.php?class=ICJ is a link to the degree course I'm starting next month. It's a new course, replacing Applied Languages, so nobody really knows much about it outside what DCU have told us. I'll keep you all posted though :)

Lex Diamonds took a 6 week long (or thereabouts) course in Trinity not too long ago, I think.

hmmmm, have you already done done a previous degree in languages?

Nope, just the Leaving Cert french so far :)

"The B.A. in Languages for International Communication, is a new degree programme which builds on the existing B.A. in Applied Languages." does that mean you already have to have a degree done in applied languages?

• Advertisement

No. Basically, the LIC degree replaced the AL degree at DCU - it took the components of AL that worked and added more stuff. Or at least that's what they tell ya.

You must do one language at intermediate level, with the other being taught at absolute beginners. I think they only do Japanese at beginners, so you'd have to be handy at German, French or Spanish. A C3 grade in Leaving Cert higher level is a minimum requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Originally posted by nadir
    Id like to see this forum kicking a bit, It would be good to start a little community and share knowledge. Ill be moving back home to galway at christmas, So if a group of us is interested in meeting up or just sharing more info that would be cool, I think we could start a good small comunity. :)

Funny you should mention that -- I've been "learning" Japanese on and off over the last two years or so. I even went to two terms of night school with a native Japanese speaker back in Ottawa. I keep amassing new books, dictionaries, flash cards and never seem to use them for some reason :) As a matter of fact, I've got 1-50 of the kanji flashcards on my desk at work right now.

I'll be moving to Ireland in November and I'd definitely love to get back into some self-study. So, sure I'd be up for getting this forum going places :) I'm certainly not that advanced, but I think I'm only a small step away from being able to pass the Level 4 Proficiency test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dreckerbie

Don`t know if still in Galway, but I am living there too and have been living in Japan for a while- degree from DCU and all that craic.
    If interested in learning, let me know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

yeah, excellent ive been doing some more lessons i found on the interweb, its all been really interesting so far, i find now when i listen to japanese conversation i am understanding more and more. Yeah ill be going back to galway at christmas alright. I hope they still run those classes in NUIG. And yes dreckerbie im certainly interested in learning more, its great to see an interest like this ;)

Send a reply when back in Galway Nadir. You might want to try out Brennan`s Yard on a Sun/Mon for Japanese food when you are back too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Ichiro

Dreckerbie you did'nt live in tokyo did you and run an Irish bar
    per Chance?

think you were trying to get in touch -- lost the thread- yes, that is probably me.

Not the Gragton pub in Gotanda??

Sorry Grafton Pub.

Hi all,
    Have decided to see what level of interest is out there for a 10-week Japanese language course. Looking for a classroom at the mo, the uni requires public liability insurance plus alpha. Any ideas?
    Anyway, will be on the Galway Advertiser in the next few weeks.
    Hope to run from the beginning of January to March. Have thought at the CTYI in DCU two years ago which was fun.
    All the best.

Advertisement