Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best CD to MP3 converter ?

• 28-08-2003 11:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭

Since I got this MP3 player for my car, I have been trying to convert all my CD's to MP3's. However my old copy of MPegDJ doesn't cut the mustard any more.

Anyone got any recomendations ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I find audiograbber very good....

I think it cost $20 or something but is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Thanks for that. Anyone else ? Obviously the free-er the better !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭mayto

try out lameFe , its free and has free database built in which is very handy. use it with my asus5224a and its very fast . i use 224-256 vbr which gives graet quality. link is here http://lamefe.sourceforge.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

Lame is my mp3 encoder of choice - there are plenty of front ends for it and its all free :) VBR 0wns me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Possibly the best free ones out there are Exact Audio Copy and CDex. (Both assume you're using LAME, but other encoders can be used. CDex ships with a copy of LAME)

EAC is very good, in particular with damaged discs, but it's recommended you've got LAME installed before you install EAC, as it'll then automatically find and configure LAME for you. It rips first, and compresses later.

CDex comes with LAME included, and encodes as it rips. I'm not sure what implications that has for ABR modes, but...

Both also write ID3 tags and have cddb/freedb support.

HTH,
    Gadget

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 mralphabet

I use Exact Audio Copy - With the latest Lame Codec - Good quality in my MP3 Player Riovolt MP3CDPlayer - I encode in 192kbps CBR . But ya EAC Is best encoding software

Not Extremley easy to use mind .. but its worh it for sound quality.

Free aswell

Andy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

CDex all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I use AltoMP3 Maker.

I find it quite good.

That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Stark

For cds with scratches or anything - Exact audio copy (EAC, www.exactaudiocopy.de)

For convenience and still very good quality - CDex - (cdexos.sourceforge.net).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Musicmatch is the best software I have ever used.
    Rips CD's - Burns CD/MP3 - Tags using db or filename - excellent library too!
    Free also which is even better.

• Advertisement

EAC has a slightly more awkward interface, but produces better results (IMHO) than CDex, especially (as has been said before) on scratched/damaged CDs.

If you've got a Mac lying around, iTunes is amazingly fast - I've got an old beige G3 (266MHz) and the speed that the (Fraunhofer) MP3 encoder runs at is nothing short of phenomenal considering the puny hardware...
    (am referring to iTunes 3 on MacOS X 10.2 / Jaguar)...

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I'd have to go with CDex... simple, small and very effective and tons of options.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Will try them all !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i use realjukebox, the older version not the new one its the fastested around IMHO i can encode at x30

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I also use CDex for ripping my cds:) Gets the job done quickly.

Originally posted by irishguy
    i use realjukebox, the older version not the new one its the fastested around IMHO i can encode at x30

I would've thought that sound quality would perhaps be more critical than flat-out encoding speed...

Gadget

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

I generally just use the one which comes Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6.0. It gives good quality & is reasonably quick.

Originally posted by celticfc
    I generally just use the one which comes Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6.0. It gives good quality & is reasonably quick.

Round about now is when a lot of people start stringing cloves of garlic round their necks, spraying themselves with holy water and sharpening any wooden objects they have to hand... :D

Honestly, though, no offence intended. It's just that I've heard so many horror stories about ECDC (in particular version 6) that I'm amazed anyone's using it...

Gadget

I have to say that most of them were good, but cDex could be the winner. Not the best at anything it seems, but a very very good all rounder by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

i use RealJukebox at 256kbs VRB [dont think this is at x30 speed though, but still very fast] and i have a good set of speakers and a sound card and i cant notice the difference

Advertisement