Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stupid drivers

Options
  • 28-08-2003 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Where you driving a red Honda HRV "Joy Machine" on the Limerick to Shannon dual carriageway this morning around 10am?

Here's a few notes for you:
    1: The fast lane is for overtaking.
    2: If your in the fast lane and there's nobody in the slow lane, pull over. ( see 1 )
    3: If your in the fast lane, nobody's in the slow lane and there's a car behind you, pull over.
    4: If your in the fast lane, nobody's in the slow lane and the car behind you flashes it lights at you, pull over.
    5: Same as 4 but a third car uses the slow lane to undertake you and the car behind you, pull over.
    6: "Brake testing" the car that's been behind you since Shannon Bridge will result in various hand signals been directed at you.

And if your excuse is "I was doing the speed limit", then why didn't you slow down for the 50mph zone at Setrights pub?

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Why didn't you just overtake him on the inside lane too? I reguarly encounter these
    muppets, not worth the hassle of trying to show them the right thing to do, just fly
    past on the inside, and maybe flash the hazzard lights once you are past them. The
    law states that you can overtake on the inside if that lane is moving faster, so you
    are perfectly within your rights to do it.

Although, I do remember getting very pissed off with a guy one day; was behind him,
    flashed the lights etc. still no response, so I went past him on the inside, and then
    pulled out in front of him in the outside lane and gradually slowed down to about
    35mph. It was petty, but it made me feel better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

OOOOOOOOOOOOH *holds up handbag *

Someone has had a bad start to the day !:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Yeah that was me. I did it to piss you off. Looks like it worked.

j/k you really need to relax though

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I witnessed something like this on the new M1 motorway to Dundalk a few weeks ago..

There was this woman driving her car at about 50mph (70mph speed limit) in the fast lane, on her mobile and seemed to be having a conversation with her friend in the passenger seat beside her aswell..

She was totally oblivious to the 30 or so cars behind her, one of which was flashing his lights, sounding his horn and basically doing everything bar getting out and thumping the ****e outta her... which she deserved btw..

I over took her on the inside within about 30 seconds of coming up behind her as it was obvious she didnt have a clue how to drive, wasnt paying the slightest bit of attention to her surroundings and was a complete idiot..

But when I passed her, I slowed to about 60mph to see what was gonna happen and after about 10 miles then I took the off ramp and she was still doing the same but totally obvious to it all...

And ya wonder why there is road rage!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Originally posted by padraigmyers
    The law states that you can overtake on the inside if that lane is moving faster, so you
    are perfectly within your rights to do it.

Are you sure about that? I thought it was a case that the law says you can only undertake if traffic in the right lane is turning right.

Undertaking is regarded as dangerous and I know people who have been done for it on a dual carriageway.

K-

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I know in the UK you're not allowed to overtake on the inside on a dual carriage way or on a motor way, but I dont think that rule is in place in Ireland yet, but dont quote me on it..

I dont think its enforced too strictly anyway as Ive seen many a person do it and chances are if someone was holding up traffic like that they gardai would be having a chat with them and not the people over taking them on the inside..

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

I thought undertaking on a dual carriage was illegal, that's why I didn't do it until he brake tested me.
    If undertaking was legal, it's still no excuse for not pulling over is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I know here in Austria you're supposed to drive in the rightmost lane possible. (That would make it left in Ireland). But then you do always get idiots on 3 lane motorways who drive solidly in the middle lane (trucks only allowed in first 2, and are usually only in first lane unless they're overtaking) or Michael Schumachers who only drive in the leftmost lane. And i'd be pretty sure that in Ireland you must drive in the leftmost lane on a motorway and only overtake on the right (city motorways (M50) might be different)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

This is the problem with Ireland and Irish drivers. We've only had motorways (they're not even motorways-two lanes!) for a few years whereas theyve been in the uk for donkeys years. People just dont understand how they work. I do the same thing with a slow driver in the fast lane. Give them 20-30 seconds and then stick the boot down and fly past them on the left. You are always supposed to use the leftmost lane whatever speed you are doing unless there is slower traffic infront.

Doesnt the rules of the road say there are three times you can undertake on the left:

1. When the traffic in front of you is turning right.
    2. When you are turning left.
    3. When the traffic in your lane is moving faster.

Therefore are you not okay to undertake cos the speedlimit is 70 regardless of which lane you are in?

It doesnt really matter anyway, we're just not ready for those kind of roads. God help us all when they finally get round to adding a third lane to the M50 or other dualcarriagways. I think its crazy that people dont get any motorway experiance when practising for their tests and I think people should be tested on their motorway skills before they get unleashed onto it.

The tourists must be in the pisses laughing at us.

Originally posted by pclancy
    ...and I think people should be tested on their motorway skills before they get unleashed onto it.
    I'd hate to be doing a test in the west of ireland if this were the case! Could take days. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

That was the info I was basing my assumption on as well, maybe there are a different
    set of rules for mororway driving though.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by pclancy

Therefore are you not okay to undertake cos the speedlimit is 70 regardless of which lane you are in?
    If the right hand lane is congested you can overtake on the left, but not break the speed limit in doing so.

Someone got a senior cop prosecuted for slow driving in the right hand lane earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Originally posted by Imposter
    I'd hate to be doing a test in the west of ireland if this were the case! Could take days. :)

But this is the problem, there are only a few motorways in the country and people who arent familiar with them should at least get some kind of training or instruction on how to use them properly. I know loads of people from down here who's only experiance of a motorway is the streach between kildare and dublin and they would have a notion of how to drive properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Seeing as so many people here appear to be confused as to whether or not they can 'untertake' in the left hand lane
    e.g.

1.) "The law states that you can overtake on the inside if that lane is moving faster, so you are perfectly within your rights to do it."

2.) "Are you sure about that? I thought it was a case that the law says you can only undertake if traffic in the right lane is turning right."

3.) "Doesnt the rules of the road say there are three times you can undertake on the left:

Undertaking is regarded as dangerous and I know people who have been done for it on a dual carriageway."

Maybe HRV woman thought
    "Well they can legally overtake me in the left-hand lane. Or can they...?"
    If so she was no less incorrect than yourselves.
    Perhaps we should all revise the rules of the road before slating others and to be sure we're 'in the right'

And I believe tailgating is FAR more dangerous then not getting out of the way of the car behind.

* Some 24pc of men and just 16pc of women drivers admitted involvement in a crash or near miss from driving too close to the vehicle in front.

* A total of 17pc of 17-24 year olds were involved in a tailgating incident compared to 21pc of 25-34 year olds, 23pc of 35-49 year olds, and 22pc of those aged 50 and over.

* 22pc of Dubliners revealed they were involved in a tailgating crash or near miss compared to 21pc in the rest of Leinster, 21pc in Munster and 18pc in Connacht.

Some 22pc of full licence-holders and 13pc of those on provisional licences had crashes and near misses due to tailgating.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

Walked to the local shop for my lunch and guess what was parked in the carpark when I came out?

Drove off before I could throw anything at it ( insults, sandwiches, bricks, etc. ) but I did get the licence number.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

AFAIK you can pass on the left:
    1) if the car in front is turning right
    2) if you're turning left/in a filter lane
    3) in slow moving traffic where the righthand lane is moving slower than the left hand lane

60 mph on a motorway is not "slow moving traffic" So I reckon you're in the wrong if you pass on the left on a motorway or dual carriageway, unless points 1) or 2) are valid.

BrianD3

Originally posted by BrianD3
    AFAIK you can pass on the left:
    1) if the car in front is turning right
    2) if you're turning left/in a filter lane
    3) in slow moving traffic where the righthand lane is moving slower than the left hand lane

60 mph on a motorway is not "slow moving traffic" So I reckon you're in the wrong if you pass on the left on a motorway or dual carriageway, unless points 1) or 2) are valid.

BrianD3
    I'd be pretty sure there'd be noone turning right off an irish motorway! Dual carraigeway is a possibility but a motorway definitely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I think people know how to drive on the motorways but are just ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

this is all bull****.

What happens if your in the left hand lane to begin with steadily moving along and you come across someone on the right hand lane that your gaining on, do you slow down, NO. Such muppetry. If your on the right hand lane and some gob****e is doing 40 50 or 60 and generally going slower than you and the left lane is clear move into it and move on. Don't debate it, ya just piss yourself off and piss off the asshole driver who might, i dunno, break test you, where you'll probally ACTUALLY get your self into trouble, and 'they' will generally side with the person who was rear-ended.

On a side note if they break tested you, i get the feeling you were up their arse, and they thought not lettin this cheeky bastard by, and you were thinking, that cheeky bastard won't let me by yada yada yada.

Get over it.

I'd be pretty sure there'd be noone turning right off an irish motorway!

Actually no, I've seen a few Irish drivers turning right on motorways i.e. doing U-turns across the central reservation....

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

as far as I know the 'undertaking' is only legal in lower speed limit areas e.g. Commons Road in Cork.

What I did notice one day while travelling between Fermoy and Mitchelstown was a Garda on a motorbike coming up beind a squatter on the overtaking lane and telling them to pull into the inside lane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭jd

Why didn't you just overtake him on the inside lane too? I
    did that on the bray bypass a few weeks ago-some woman doing about 50 in the fast lane.
    She nearly veered back into me when I was coming along side her ie her back wheel level with my front wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

The law states that you can overtake on the inside if that lane is moving faster, so you are perfectly within your rights to do it.
    The hell it does.

The law states that you may overtake on the inside if traffic is moving slowly and in a column (ie really slowly). The key word is "slow". Not slow as in "slower than you because you want to do 60" but "slower than you because they're driving at 5 miles an hour and have cars in front and behind them"

BrianD3's post got it to a t. I've left out the other two points he mentioned. Go back and read them. They're more obvious so I didn't mention them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Gideon
    the asshole driver who might, i dunno, break test you, where you'll probally ACTUALLY get your self into trouble, and 'they' will generally side with the person who was rear-ended.
    More an idiot than an asshole if he's in the right-hand lane but anyhoo...

If you get close enough to be "break(brake?)-tested" and you hit the guy, youare in the wrong. "They" will side with the guy because you shouldn't have been tailgating in the first place. He's annoying you by driving in the right lane, sure. If you're tailgating him, you're more wrong than he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Checked this last night with my pesonal motoring Guru (bruvver). Yes its ok to undertake so long as you do not exceed the speed limit in either lane ie-

Someone doing 60 in the overtaking lane on a motorway, you can undertake so long as you dont exceed 70.

Glad thats cleared up.

K

Note: Bruvver has advanced artic driving training as well as defensive driving skills, and is generally the Oracle when it comes to driving matters. Sickening to think that it is cheaper for him to insure the wife as the main driver and him as named driver on the car. He's nearly forty as well. Pfft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

and for what it's worth Kell and oracle bruvver are correct - I know this because I was actually **gasp** asked this in my driving test and it stuck with me because it threw me a little......I'd have been rightly pissedoff if I hadn't 'cos I got my license in the US and did a defensive-driving-course in New York [ defensive driving in NY means learning how to drive from Queens into the Lower East Side of Manhattan without getting shot at ;-) ]

today I was driving home via Goatstown toward Clonskeagh (on my way into the city) and from the Goat Grill onward were temporary signs saying "New Speed Limit 30" every few yards.
    Being the suspicious conspiracy theory type I stuck on the cruise control to 30 and wouldn't budge above it.
    Gob****e behind me flashed and honked and overtook at 40+...... lo and behold maybe 100 yards later as we came into Clonskeagh there was ye olde green van with speed camera in the back of it.
    Justice ? Yes :-)
    (unless of course their camera or my car aren't calibrated then I'm phucked but that's gonna be an argument I hope I won't have to make)

and for what it's worth Kell and oracle bruvver are correct - I know this because I was actually **gasp** asked this in my driving test and it stuck with me because it threw me a little......I'd have been rightly pissedoff if I hadn't 'cos I got my license in the US and did a defensive-driving-course in New York [ defensive driving in NY means learning how to drive from Queens into the Lower East Side of Manhattan without getting shot at ;-) ]

WTF are you talking about? Did you do your test in the US or in Ireland? The law concerning undertaking is different in the states than it is here.

It's years since I did my test or looked at the Rules of the Road - however what sticks in my mind is the phrase "slow moving traffic" in relation to undertaking. Unless the rules have changed in the past few years, (which I doubt) I reckon Kell's know-all brother is wrong. Saying that you can undertake as long as you don't break the speed limit sounds like BS to me. I think sceptre's post earlier in this thread is spot-on.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Did tests in both countries passed first time both times and in Ireland I was asked specifically about the situation where you've got two lanes of traffic and was it ok to move into the left lane and over/undertake. My answer was yes if the traffic in the right hand lane is not moving.... and the examiner waited and suggested I finish the sentence.....if the traffic in the right hand lane is moving slowly or not moving at all. Correct.

Can't claim to be any sort of expert on this but it's pretty clear to me that if you're in a RH Lane and the traffic can travel up to xx mph and someone is driving much slower than that then you can move into the LH lane. If you happen to move further down the road than the person in the RH lane because you're travelling faster than them but keeping within the speed limit I can see nothing in the Rules of the Road (got the booklet in front of me here) that prohibits that.

What this is really about is idiotic driving.... if there's a lane for overtaking and you're not overtaking and the lane on the LH is clear then get into the fvcking thing.

In either case my policy is to get as far away from those idiots as possible because you can be certain that they will cause an accident and I don't want to be around when they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

From The Rules of The Road p25:
    Normally you must overtake on the right but overtaking on the left is permitted -
    • When the driver ahead has moved out and given a right turn signal and you intend to go straight ahead or turn left
    • When you intend to turn left and have signalled this intention
    • Where traffic is moving slowly and the vehicles in the lane on your right are moving more slowly than the traffic in your lane

shabbyroad, you are 100% wrong. There is no way you could call motorway speeds (even 40/50mph) slow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

in the US they have freeways - ie free to do any speed in any lane.

In the civilised world we drive on the left and use the right most lane to overtake. We yield to traffic already in a lane we are trying to enter and also yield to traffic coming from the right.

So the way it is supposed to work is keep left, and when you reach the car in front indicate, pull out, overtake and then pull in again. - you should not have to weave in and out.

Makes it safer for all including the muppets.

People driving slowly in the outside lane should be reported....
    In the UK they get done for obstruction.

The whole point of the rules of the road is fairness to all road users - in general if you're not allowed to slow down other road users if it can be avoided.
    An example of this is when you are in a lane with a right turn arrow - YOU MUST TURN RIGHT .....

PS. Even though I am the main driver my Insurance would be €250 more if I removed a younger named driver who has not passed her test....

Advertisement