Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3g

• 28-08-2003 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

is there a way to get connected to 3G here in Ireland..? is Vodafone offering it to the public yet..?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 eoghanjordan

I don't think so yet. A few operators have applied for 3G operating licences (or are planning to). See the

Comreg site for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

so far only Vodaafone have announced specific details

the CEO of mmO2 (Peter Erskine) briefly mentioned that O2's 3G roll-out was underway in Ireland during his AGM speech last month

no substantial info from Hutchison Whampoa, Ireland just got a mention in their half year results under 3G spending

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Vodafone has only launched their 3G service to selected corporate users. The official line is for this is the limited availabilty and cost of UMTS handsets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Originally posted by DubWireless

the CEO of mmO2 (Peter Erskine) briefly mentioned that O2's 3G roll-out was underway in Ireland during his AGM speech last month

Interesting … he also said in that speech "We do not, however, anticipate 3G becoming a significant commercial reality until late 2004 or 2005.

So the chances of anything but a soft 3G launch just before Christmas by o2 seem slim.

I'd bet we will see a full launch by 3 just before Christmas and it might be Christmas 2004 before the other 2 properly launch their networks ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am under the impression that the three operators have to launch a commercial service by the 1st of Jan, 2004. They argreed to this date upon being awarded a license.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I am under the impression that the three operators have to launch a commercial service by the 1st of Jan, 2004. They argreed to this date upon being awarded a license.

3 and O2 agreed to this. Vodafone agreed to a launch by May 1 2003. They opted for a soft launch allowing very few customers on the service. It is quite possible that o2 will do the same and not launch proper until 2004 or 2005.

Advertisement