Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Live on ISDN

Options
  • 28-08-2003 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine just recently got an Xbox live kit and is using a Duel Channel ISDN connection to get access to it, he says it can be stalbe and unstable from time to time. he noted it somestimes read the connection, im just wondering if anyone else has heard of this? or is it even possible?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

It's possible, you'd have to run it through a hub or router though.

You could potentially use 56k for your Xbox live connection, it'd suck **** but it's possible.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

If MS catch him, they log his xbox's serial number ban him. Plus he'll be kick from most matches for lagging the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Originally posted by clownboy
    If MS catch him, they log his xbox's serial number ban him. Plus he'll be kick from most matches for lagging the game.

Does it say on the Xbox Live kit that you 'HAVE' to have ADSL/DSL? Or does it just say 256k or higher recommended?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Sorry this is no doubt a stupid question, but would there be a way to have very low pings on a 56k/ISDN though software/hardware?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Eh... ISDN generally has very low pings anyway, its low bandwidth that is the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by logic1
    It's possible, you'd have to run it through a hub or router though.

You could potentially use 56k for your Xbox live connection, it'd suck **** but it's possible.

.logic.

Could you run your Xbox through your pc and use the pc as a gateway to your 128/56k connection?

Just a wondering...i have NTL BB anyways and happy to let you know.
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

just run a phone line from your pc to your xbox, or just connect the line directly to the box when you want to use live, and reconnect it to pc when you want to use the net.

Originally posted by bloggs
    Does it say on the Xbox Live kit that you 'HAVE' to have ADSL/DSL? Or does it just say 256k or higher recommended?

It says DSL/cable connection required. So yes, it does say you HAVE to have a broadband connection. And why would someone want to use ISDN. They would just ruin the experience for everyone.

Alot of games are unjoinable on LIVE due to speed restrictions and lag. Plus LIVE is a Peer to Peer service, so connection speed really is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

It says DSL/cable connection required. So yes, it does say you HAVE to have a broadband connection. And why would someone want to use ISDN. They would just ruin the experience for everyone.

Alot of games are unjoinable on LIVE due to speed restrictions and lag. Plus LIVE is a Peer to Peer service, so connection speed really is a must.
    try to remember not every gamer has access to "broadband" so a lot of people are stuck with isdn.

I could've played Xbox LIVE with ISDN but i waited for Broadband to come to my area. ISDN users do be pissed when 56kers join a game like MOHAA and lag it. So why should us Broadband players be any different. We don't have dedicated servers, we're peer to peer. His connection speed will affect the game for everyone.

Lads, the reason sony made the european network adapter broadband only was cause of the trouble narrowband users caused in America. Alot of games where unplayable until the narrowband users were kicked.

If you don;t have broadband, tough ****!! You'll just have to wait for eircom to get their act together.

And Xbox LIVE is a broadband only service. Therefore he is breaking the T&C of it and is egilable to be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

i think the funny thing here is that you believe what you are writing.

adsl in this country is(usually) 512/128. Notice the 128 there ? thats your upload bandwidth. Games are usually made to be relatively synchronous, so information in is the same as info out bandwidth wise. Isdn dual is 128/128. Now lets see if you can guess where this is going (waits for the penny to drop).

ISDN has about equal ping as most broadband services, bar netsource which is pinging about 3 times as high atm.

Here, do you have LIVE??

When you do come back and lecture to me, ****head??

Upload speeds matter more for hosting then just a player. Download speeds matter the most when you are just a player. Hey, go to the UK Xbox forums and ask there. You'll get the same response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

We don't have dedicated servers, we're peer to peer.
    i believe that isn't true, it just won't work in theory to have peer to peer for large mulitplayer games, and i have it under good authority that there are dedicated servers otherwise the concept would be kinda stupid. peer to peer would be horribly laggy with 16 or so people playing.

*edit* take your arse out of your head you ingorant twat *edit*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Live is a broadband only service. You could potentially get it working on dual channel ISDN I guess (actually by some definitions that IS broadband) but I wouldn't fancy trying it on single channel ISDN or a modem.

You WILL be kicked, or even simply prevented from joining, if your ping is too high on Live. Single chan ISDN or a 56k modem will cause this to happen. Oh, and Microsoft are unlikely to be sympathetic if you have trouble connecting over these services, as this is advertised as a broadband only service.

By the way, most Live games are peer to peer but the infrastructure Microsoft have built also allows for server-based games (just like PS2 Online).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ping difference on 64k and 128k is basically 0, unless you are having stability problems on single channel, but single channel should not be used due to the 7.5k - 8k speeds, will cause you to flood out and cause excess lag.

Eircom dos ping is 28 on single channel.

Yes Dual channel ISDN could be used with a router, but it depends on the rate.

I guess some games have options to lower the rate of transfer.

On PC games with Broadband, you cannot set the maximum rate you would like due to upload speed.

Different games might handle connections differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Oh and just because it says the service is intended for broadband doesn't mean it's exclusive. That's just a warning to tell you that you should be using broadband to get the full experience, but pretty much anything that fits into that slot and transmits and recieves a signal will work.

It's so people won't be at home sticking in their modem wires wondering why the game won't play online.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu
    just run a phone line from your pc to your xbox, or just connect the line directly to the box when you want to use live, and reconnect it to pc when you want to use the net.

i guess you don't have an xbox then? why would you think this works? it's got an ethernet port at the back.

Advertisement