Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golden Retrievers?

Options
  • 28-08-2003 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Hullo,

My sister bought herself an 8 week old male Golden Retriever yesterday. She's never had a dog before and isn't sure about many things so she asked me to look on the intarwab. Naturally I came straight here. :)

There's a coupla things she's worried about, such as the dog vomitting quite often. At first she thought it was just a touch of car sickness as she had a fairly long drive home with the dog. But he got sick at least 3 times today after just playing in the garden. Is this normal for a puppy?

She's also pretty sure she wants the dog to stay in the garden most of the time (i.e. not sleep in the house). What's the usual age that a dog would be able to sleep outside in a kennel? What would he need in the kennel?

Also, any tips on house training him? He's crapping all over her house :D

Cheer folks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 roadhog

He shouldn't be getting sick so often, unless he is being played with immediately after eating. It would be safer to get the vet to check it out. I put my own dog out the back when he was 7 months, not because of the age but it was summer so I would say asap if we have a mild winter. I do put bedding in the kennel but some others would argue this is not a good idea as it gives a home to ticks, fleas etc.

As for house training, put newspaper down in a particular spot. As the dog begins to pee or whatever lift him onto the paper and praise him when finished. And thereafter give him lots of praise for using the newspaper. Stick with it and he will soon learn that's the place to use, then you have to teach him to 'ask' to go out the back. This trick involves the owner learning how to read and understand the dog, but should not be a big problem for your sister if the dog is being kept out the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

gorgeous dogs, we have one ourselves.

Try feeding him boiled rice and chicken, this is supposed to be good for when they have upset tummies.

Advertisement