Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson charged with misconduct

• 28-08-2003 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭

Sir Alex Ferguson has been charged for misconduct at the Man Utd-Newcastle match last week by the F.A.
    Its a stupid decision as his argument was a valid one,which was that Andy O'Brein should have been sent off for being the last man back when Giggs was clear through on goal and taking him out of it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Doesn't matter what happened before its because he lashed out that he got it. If they didn't punish him then everytime a decesion went against you (no matter how right or wrong) managers would get all uppity.

I feel sorry for him cos he was right to be angry but hats not an excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

If a player mouths off at a ref or official, then he gets sent off - why should it be different for managers (surely they should lead by example ?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Is the ref in any way accountable for his decision not to give the free kick and red card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭SteM

I think the thing that could really get him in trouble is when he went back to Winter and had a go at him for grassing him to the ref. It was a bad decision by the ref but Fergie went a bit over the top imo.

The ref's decision should be looked into too. He was the only person in the ground that didn't see the challange it seems.

Originally posted by Imposter
    Is the ref in any way accountable for his decision not to give the free kick and red card?

The ref not giving the obivious freekick and red card is a seperate issue and in my understanding, he will be held accountable to the ref association. This glaring error, however, doesn't give Ferguson (or any manager) the right then to abuse the ref, fourth official etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by SCULLY
    This glaring error, however, doesn't give Ferguson (or any manager) the right then to abuse the ref, fourth official etc.
    I sort of agree but it happens too often that referee's make glaring mistakes or are afraid to make difficult decisions and what happens: The same ref turns up somewhere else the next week to ref a match while the managers get banned for getting 'emotional' over the referees error. Abusing the ref or 4th official is wrong but what do you expect manager's and players to do? (what I mean is over the top abuse is wrong)

Originally posted by Imposter
    The same ref turns up somewhere else the next week to ref a match while the managers get banned for getting 'emotional' over the referees error. (what I mean is over the top abuse is wrong)

I agree that it is extreemly annoying to see such inconsistencies in referees performances -as a chelsea fan I was p**sed off with the retake of the Owen penalty and I know I'll see keepers move a lot more during the season and get away with it. Likewise, Geremi gets sent off for his tackle(which he should have done imho) but I saw a lot worse over the same weekend go unpunished. The point is, Ranieri didn't run off and abuse the officials. I think Ferguson did a little more than 'getting emotional'.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

ah sure its only mindgames.

Advertisement