Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel to officially support overclocking?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

:eek:

I never thought I'd see the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

<gimmick>

Much like the P4.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Originally posted by Typedef
    <gimmick>

Much like the P4.

no need to be jealous

will this work for chips that have been released already?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I think it will only work on the i865 and i875 chipsets, so older motherboards won't work. Any socket 478 cpu would be ok I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

It looks good. If only they brought down their prices aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

I dunno, I think their pricing strategy is pretty smart. AMD are now going to look pretty bad when they charge ridiculous prices for the opteron.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

saw the operton prices at overclockers.co.uk

AMD Opteron 144 1.8GHz 1MB Cache - Retail - Price: £330.95 (£388.87 Including VAT at 17.5%)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    saw the operton prices at overclockers.co.uk

AMD Opteron 144 1.8GHz 1MB Cache - Retail - Price: £330.95 (£388.87 Including VAT at 17.5%)

That's mainly due to the larger cache. Lower yeilds cost more.
    The chips that pass for 512K are going to be the Athlon64s aren't they?

I've read conflicitng reports regarding the streaming fo the chips.
    afaik this is what we're getting:

Opteron - server grade, 1meg cache, dual channel 64+32bit
    Athlon64 - desktop grade, 512KB cache, dual channel? 64+32bit
    Athlon 64 FX - budget grade 256KB cache, single channel, 32bit only - the replacement for the current AthlonXP market, allowing AMD to concetrate on one chip design and not have to try and squeeze more out of the current x86-only XPs

Is there anything amiss with that layout?
    THE

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

The Athlon 64 will only have single channel while the athlon64fx will have dual channel so it will be really an opteron.
    There is conflicting rumors if the new Athlon Xp's will be Bartons at 90-nanometer manufacturing or stripped down hammers with only 32bit support.
    Seems like they are going to be Bartons at 90-nanometers as this articels states http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-5067917.html?tag=fd_lede1_hed
    Which could be good news if you want a cheap upgrade a year from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by BabyEater
    The Athlon 64 will only have single channel while the athlon64fx will have dual channel so it will be really an opteron.
    There is conflicting rumors if the new Athlon Xp's will be Bartons at 90-nanometer manufacturing or stripped down hammers with only 32bit support.
    Seems like they are going to be Bartons at 90-nanometers as this articels states http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-5067917.html?tag=fd_lede1_hed
    Which could be good news if you want a cheap upgrade a year from now.

I heard the "stripped-down hammer" version from TheReg, would seem to make grat sense, get everyone over to the one socket/motherboard.....though aren't there supposed to be a few different form-factor sockets (mainly for the different SMP Opterons?).

so it's:
    High-end: Opteron
    Mid-range: Athlon64fx
    Low End: Athlon64

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I tend to go by the Barton at .09 microns because the articel states that
    Until the 90-nanometer manufacturing begins, Seyer said, the Athlon64 will be identical in size to the Opteron chip at 193 square millimeters. The Athlon XP, by contrast, measures 101 square millimeters, which makes it far cheaper to make.
    "That is a hugely bigger die. Extending the Athlon XP is a reasonable goal," said Kevin Krewell, senior editor at the Microprocessor Report.

Since he is saying that the Athlon XP measures 101 square milimeters this is the size that the Barton is now. So it would seem that they are extending the Barton. That is somebody from AMD saying that so i would tend to believe him. Although thery have a good habbit of changing there minds.

If they are going with this it will be
    High-end: Opteron/ Athlon64fx(both will have a high price tag)
    Mid -range: Athlon64
    Low end: Athlon XP (e.g. Barton at .09 microns)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,652 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

there's going to be a budget socket(740) and a high end socket (939), signifying single and dual channel. This years chips will be 940pin for dual, so it's only a short term platform (like the slot A chips for athlon).

Hopefully they'll migrate them all to a single socket (leave pins disconnected type thing), for all chips, a la socket A. Leaves the upgrade path very much intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

dcc.jpg

sweet :)

Advertisement