Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ram difficulty

• 28-08-2003 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

I 'had' 1gb of Ram, and then after about a month of beauty my system crashed. It kept locking just after the boot menu in XP, although it was recognised in the bios settings.

Now it will only start and load into windows when I remove the suspect 512 pc2100 stick.

Any way of telling if it's faulty? - as in, any way besides putting it into another machine?

Why would it be faulty? It shows up in the bios..

Can ram just stop working out of the blue ?

system : 2x256 pc2700 , 1x512 pc2100

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Ah, could be a problem with Ram speeds.

Get into the bios and set the DRAM clock to 133mhz

That might work, if not... post again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 933 ✭✭✭mooman_00

im not great with techy stuff but i put 2x256 1x128 pc100 ram into my machine at work before and it kept on crashing. I later learned that its not good to put different types of ram in ie either stick with 256 or 128 having as mix isn't good.
    Also learned that its better to have two sticks than one like if your looking for 512 having 2x256 is better than 1x512.

Dont know how true any of this is except when i removed the 128 in my work pc it worked fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭-=Raven=-

yea i see... i don't know why there's a problem, but you seem to have the same issue with that pc.

I can't change the ram speeds, it's all limited in the bios.

I suppose I'll just have to get 2 new sticks or whatever if I want to have 1gb .. but to be honest, I'm ok for the moment with 512mb.

Thanks anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

are you sure its locked out? Unusual.

Try again, its under a "DRAM Timing" menu usually.

It should say DRAM Speed : By SPD, set it to manual and then change it to 133.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Originally posted by -=Raven=-
    yea i see... i don't know why there's a problem, but you seem to have the same issue with that pc.

I can't change the ram speeds, it's all limited in the bios.

I suppose I'll just have to get 2 new sticks or whatever if I want to have 1gb .. but to be honest, I'm ok for the moment with 512mb.

Thanks anyway

why get 2 new sticks? just get one of the one that's working. Test the "affending" stick in your comp on it's own, if you havn't done so already, if it boots as Ryo Hazuki said it may be a ram timing problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement