Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't I load any programs?

Options
  • 28-08-2003 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭

Ok. The story is that I used to have ME but I upgraded to Win 2000 and then to XP Pro.
    The last program I installed from a cd was a small recording program. worked fine.
    The other day i bought a game and it wouldn't install. When i pressed the install button the disc stopped spinning and nothing happened.
    I exchanged the game for Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance. This installed ok but is running in slow motion, like it's skipping or something.
    Yesterday I bought the driver theory test cd rom which seemed to install ok but i can't run it coz none of the icons for running it have appeared. Their tech guys can't help me.
    These problems only started with the first game i mentioned but i have installed games before with no problems at all.
    I did have that worm that everyone was getting but i got that cleared up.
    I know I'm going to be told my OS is banjaxed coz of all the upgrading but it hasn't been a problem before.
    I really don't want to start from scratch and boot xp from nothing so any suggestions on another way of fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a mllion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

I exchanged the game for Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance. This installed ok but is running in slow motion, like it's skipping or something.

Sounds like your PC's too Crap to Run the Game well, its got quite High minimum Specs.

Did this happen with other Windows Versions? If not, get newer drivers for your graphics card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 zoomdog

ok you upgraded from me to 2000 to xp ...
    not really a good thing .. if you check the properties of your windows folder you will see it is probably well beyond the 2gb in size
    xp is sweet but as your machine is an upgraded one that you got with me on it .. does it have beyond the http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/sysreqs.asp I would reccommend setting your machine up for best performance in system properties performance tab (control panel)
    also a defrag is always a good idea on a slow machine
    see what services are running on your machine and how many programs are running in the backgound (CTRL ALT DEL)

hope it is of some help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I have 256mb ram, pentium 4 and I'm using about 50% of the 60gb of hardrive.
    I've never had a problem like this on any system before. It was ages ago when i upgraded. I've loaded programs no problem onto xp loads of times.

if you check the properties of your windows folder you will see it is probably well beyond the 2gb in size

Just checked and it's 1.98 so it shud be alright, right?

do a ctrl alt del and click on teh processes tab
    then click on the MEM USAGE
    what services are running with high mem usage??

• Advertisement

A stupid smiley making program is at 20756k
    Msn MEssenger is at 10884k
    explorer is at 12200k
    svchost.exe is at 17708k
    internet explorer is at 28896k
    after that they are all below 6000

http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboard/forum/61963.html

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20672330.html here to scan your machine
    Generally if defrag fails to speed up your machine then it could be something like antivirus ...

these two sites should have the answers you are looking for
    hope it is of some help

Advertisement