Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

win98se floppy problem

Options
  • 28-08-2003 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

I have recently installed windows 98se on an old pc of mine (P120, 32mb RAM, etc).
    Before and during installation the floppy drive worked!
    but since installation i get the "A:\ is not accessible. The device is not ready." error message.

I have checked microsoft support online and they seem to have a solution that fits the problem here , but the new problem is the solution doesnt work!!

i have tried removing the floppy controller and the floppy drive from control panel > system and rebooting to reassign the memory addresses for them but that didnt work either.
    I also removed the floppy from the registery as suggested by microsoft! to no avail

i have also set the boot sequence back to normal but that didnt work either!

any suggestions?

Evilhomer

"I am evilhomer, I am evilhomer"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Is windows 98 booting up? If not try 'sys c:' from A: in dos prompt

put in a disk and take it back out, try another floppy drive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

Floppies are inherently crap anyway.
    They work in one machine and never in another.

You know how many times I've tried to get something off a floppy and just ended up crushing it in my hands in rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

That happened to me once a few years back on a P233 - I was upgrading from Win95 to 98 and the floppy drive stopped working for no apparent reason. I don't remember how I fixed it though, so I'm not a whole load of help! But at least you know you're not the only one it's happened to, for whatever comfort that's worth...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

would anyone suggest another reformat or am i just wasting my time??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Hiya,Have you tried changing the floppy cable?If the light on the floppy drive is staying on you have the cable in the wrong way.Have you checked the bios to see if you have changed it to "B" not "A"?Try another cable or reseat the one your using.Also are you using the last connection on the cable like recommended?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ie switch off box - put in boot disk - switch on.

If it does not see it then into the BIOS and check the settings - other wise it is a hardware problem...

If it boots off the floppy then it is a SW problem - try safe mode or command prompt only to check - then disable the FDD in device manager - it should still work ;)

BTW: many AV programs block access to infected disks...

yeah i'm using the last connection,

i have 2 pc's both identical and i have being swapping parts to see if everything is working.

one has freeBSD and the other win98se. and guess which one the floppy works in ? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

When its booting does the floppy light come on for a second as in detecting it?

Problem solved dodgy cable was giving bad signals, replaced and edited the registery and all is well with the world, thanks for the help people :)

Advertisement