Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with home Wireless LAN

• 29-08-2003 1:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

This is driving me f*cking CRAZY :(

I have two sitecom USB wireless adapters. Both computers are running Windows 2000 with service pack 2.

One computer has IP set to 192.168.0.1 Subnet MASK 255.255.255.0

The other is 192.168.0.2 same subnet. The settings on each card are identical. 802.11 Ad Hoc long preamble (I've tried short.) And everything else.

But the stupid thing won't work!!! Sometimes it's fine, sometimes I cant see my other PC, without me changing anything, and I cant understand why. According to the utility program that came with the cards all the channels are fine. I was playing games on it last week, and now they won't see each other, but the odd ping gets through. I've being messing around with the settings and protocols trying to get it working but I cant. I'm going to end up running cross-over cable down the bloody stairs, but that's admitting defeat. I cant find any help on the net at all....

Another thing that annoyed the sh*t out of me;

When it was working (briefly) I was trying to send large files down, but they'd ALL stop about half way through and the connection would drop. I'd disable/re-enable the connection, start the transfer again, and it would drop again. I literally sat here for 4 hours last week trying to send a cab downstairs, and I couldn't get it :(

Does ANYBODY have any ideas? :o

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

An access point would probably sort things out.

What kind of signal strength are you getting?

What distance appart are they?

What brand are the adapters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

The cards are sitecom wireless USB adapters. The other PC is literally straight down the stairs. 7feet down and about 15 feet across. They're hella close, and I was under the impression that both cards would work without an access point Ad Hoc....

The utility won't tell me the signal strength, it just says not applicable. What really bugs me, is that sometime it's fine, and other days it's not... :confused:

Sounds like **** USB adapters.

They should work withpout an AP but an AP would "Manage" the network (the wireless stuff) and might sort the problem...

Other then that there ait much anyone can do for ya id say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by Rew
    Other then that there ait much anyone can do for ya id say...
    A carpenter could cut a hole in the floor so you can have line of sight! ..:eek:

Seriously though I'd say the adapters are shiite, especially if they wont tell you signal strength ... did you try bringing the two adapters close together? (1 foot with line of sight) .. are there newer drivers? (or older drivers?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Depending on the chipset an app like Netstumbler should tell you the signal strength and also the relative noise, which might be an issue if you also have video or satellite senders in the house.

• Advertisement

Didn't think any USB adapters worked with netstumbler but possible interference is a very good point...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

All you need is a laptop with linux and a supported WiFi card and the setup for it all to work

Ok netstumbler should pick up AdHoc mode so try it using a borrowed note book ...

At home the walls are foil lined - so much easier to go through the ceiling than the adjacent room....

DECT phones / video senders - turn them off to try
    microwave ovens near by ???

Since they are usb you can get extension cables to put them in better locations - you can also use thin foil as a reflector to block or increase the signal.

If the signal is too strong have one horizontal and the other vertical ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice! For the moment I just have CAT 5 running down the stairs into the office were the PC is, but that's only a temporary fix. I'll put some of your ideas into practice during the week! :)

Advertisement