Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This new by-law

• 29-08-2003 8:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭

So, it seems that City Hall will propose a by-law banning skateboarding in Emmet Place in the next couple of weeks! These kids doing no harm or committing no crime are to be criminalised and liable to prosecution. I'm certain the Gardai would much rather NOT be involved in this harassment of the skaters who bring a bit of colour and life to the city centre.

I've made enquiries and I find that the City of Culture office has no Youth Officer. (They have a Literature officer, an Arts officer, an Events Officer,etc, .......... but no Youth officer) The first tangible act of Cork City Of Culture, it appears, will be to place on the statute books a legal instrument that discriminates against Youth and Street culture. This is weird when you consider that the visiting committee that awarded us City Of Culture said they were influenced and impressed by the skaters in Emmet Place. I s'pose rather than incorporate all the sections of the population into the City of Culture celebration, the City Council is more inclined to listen to the "move 'em on" bleatings of certain traders and businessmen in the area.

If you have a minute to spare, why not scoot over to the skaters excellent website at www.skateireland.org. And if you are sufficiently annoyed, maybe you would consider could registering your support for them there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Bah. I pass through Emmet place on a reasonably regular basis even though I'm not living in Cork and they're hardly burning cars now are they?

If it was a busy pedestrianised shopping street like Cruises Street in Limerick I'd say "fine, that's fair enough". As it is the kids seem pretty polite and aren't causing any trouble. I'd be inclined to leave them there even if there was a skatepark available, especially if they managed to put that park out in the arse end of nowhere.

And as people know, I'm heading towards 30 so I'm at that grumpy age if anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

One problem they have is that there is litter in the area. This could be helped by putting at least another bin in the area rather than just the one next to that wedding shop. Everyone knows the kids are too lazy to walk over there for christ sakes!

I just have a problem that instead of trying to confront the drunk skangers in the park and all around Cork they decide to make a law against skateboarders. A lot more crime is commited by the skangers on a daily basis than the skateboarders do in a week. I feel a lot safer walking through Emmet Place than i do through Bishop Lucey Park.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Originally posted by sceptre

And as people know, I'm heading towards 30 so I'm at that grumpy age if anything.

Yep Scep., the big 3-Oh is a dodgy age for sure (I should know -- I've been there!) At 30 you start losing things -- your libido, your innocent belief in humanity, your drive, ............ your HAIR. Not a pretty sight.

This is very true, D-G. But, remember, we are talking here about a City Council that tore out all the bins on Patrick Street prior to the regeneration, and have yet to replace a single one of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by pro_gnostic_8
    But, remember, we are talking here about a City Council that tore out all the bins on Patrick Street prior to the regeneration, and have yet to replace a single one of them!
    Ah but if they leave it another year before replacing them we'll have nice clean unused bins when 2005 rolls around:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

I suspect it might be to do with insurance and claims made against the city council......."i fell off me skateboard, gimme some money". I know the majority of skaters are decent but there'll always be one or two to ruin it for the rest.
    I just have a problem that instead of trying to confront the drunk skangers in the park and all around Cork they decide to make a law against skateboarders. A lot more crime is commited by the skangers on a daily basis than the skateboarders do in a week. I feel a lot safer walking through Emmet Place than i do through Bishop Lucey Park.......

Well thats very true alright, there is a serious problems with drunks and beggars in this city. Gardai approach them, have a few words and walk on. All talk is about 2005, what about 2003? The city looks like sh*t, every road is dug, the ones that aren't are pot-holed, drunks, beggars and litter are everywhere. Not to mention the demons that come out at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by comet
    Well thats very true alright, there is a serious problems with drunks and beggars in this city. Gardai approach them, have a few words and walk on. All talk is about 2005, what about 2003? The city looks like sh*t, every road is dug, the ones that aren't are pot-holed, drunks, beggars and litter are everywhere. Not to mention the demons that come out at night.
    So that's the culture they're on about! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Typical Corpo idiocy at play.

When are the next city council elections ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Sometime next year, Yellum, (exactly when I don't honestly know)

I will, however, be taking note of those councillors who vote in favour of a ban ............... and I'll be remembering 'em in 2004 when they come knocking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Won't make a difference. You'll be voting on Nedap/Powervote machines next year, so the election will go to the highest bidder or possibly whatever the closed source machine decides for itself.

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~afrodite/E-Voting/

adam

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement