Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here we go again with the games and the killin'!!!

Options
  • 22-04-1999 11:53am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This in a news article on the school shootings in Colorado:-

LITTLETON, Colo. (AP) - Columbine High School gunman Dylan Klebold was a follower, not a leader, who went astray after he met Eric Harris, friends say.

In Cub Scouts, he was a bright, dedicated boy who worked hard for his badges. He also got along well with his older brother.

But four years ago, he met Harris, who died along with him in the school library Tuesday after launching a gun-and-bomb attack on fellow students.

``Dylan was real quiet, real smart,'' said Nick Baumgart, 17, a senior who met Klebold in grade school. ``When Eric and Dylan got together, Eric changed Dylan's demeanor. Dylan was a follower, who was constantly looking for someone to lead.''

The two got their own home computers, and linked them with modems.

``They had death matches with violent computer games, matching computer to computer,'' Baumgart said. ``I don't believe violent video games lead to violence, but this was different. They'd play these games for hours and hours and hours.''

Oh no they played for hours. Yeah that'll get ye. I also noticed the luckless Network 2 cancelled their showing of "Things to do in Denver when you're dead". It's true amazingly enough.

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Morons..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dupre

Yeah - a so-called 'expert' on Sky News the other night highlighted the fact that the Internet had a large part to play in the whole thing. Although he didn't straight forwardly say it was part of the problem, he did imply it.

Seems that from now on many so-called 'experts' will be pointing the finger for every killing and massacre at the Internet and computer games.

Handy enuf if criminals don't want to plead insanity ...

"Oh your honor ... it was the internet and computer games that made me do it ..."

What a pile of ****e.

[This message has been edited by Dupre (edited 22-04-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yeah typical of those stupid yanks,

The Internet was to blame, not the fact you can buy a f*ckin machine cannon over the counter

"I'm using it to hunt wabbits..dribble, dribble".

The land of the free me arse, more like the Land of the AK47.

Burn Hollywood Burn,

Gandalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Astfigal

2Phuckin right, what about the nra, more like the biggest bunch of phucking a*seholes if I ever saw one, no phuckin way are they giving their to own weapons, the way I see it nuke em it's the only answer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Well, according to the States then, I'm rightly ****ed up!

I play 'violent computer games'

I use the internet regularly

And, horror of horrors, I play the dreaded mind****erupper Dungeons & Dragons <gasp!>

Now for the news.

In a statement about how to spot 'violent teens' it has been said (I don't know how to do that quotey thingy with UBB code so you'll have to settle for copy and paste tongue.gif))

<Turf battles and cliques are common enough in America's high schools. So are teen-agers who rebel through the clothes they wear or the hobbies they choose, whether it's collecting World War II weaponry or playing Dungeons and Dragons fantasy games. But counselors, educators and students wonder how to tell between and deadly intent. >

the artice goes on to describe the 'warning signs' as : unusual interests, violent preferences in entertainment etc...

My opinion: What a load of ******! Some points are good, but by and large they are taking the blame off the individual and putting it squarely on a: the people around him/her b: peer pressure. 'Evil doesn't exist! It's just misunderstood.' Crap! Society didn't turn those two kids into stone killers, there had to be a seed there already.

now. another thing of interest.

Colorado was, even before this tragedy, discussing a bill on allowing civilians to carry concealed firearms! Despite what would appear to be common sense, hte bill application has NOT been dropped. The proponents of the bill claim that 'If a teacher had been armed he/she could have stopped the killings at the school' .

I know not all Americans are stupid, but please... maybe they are all concentrated in Colorado public offices...

Anyway, anyone else got any interesting scapegoat stories. Any odds going on the internet/computer game one becoming the new favourite of the masses and media?

J.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I know exactly what your talking abouut, why the very same thing happened to me. I used to live in a small backwater town called monaghan, and for a while there was a series of killing, you know the usual bodies with no heads in the drains, cats nailed to doors, etc.
    It could have been anyone but they tried to frame it on me, and just cos I played frogger when I was young. Oh yea maybe its cos I also collected stamps at the time.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I live in the "inner city" and the way I look at it is that there are 1.5 million people in dublin and only 4 of their heads turned up in the tip outside my door....

Dev.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Streetwise (that sh1te network 2 consumer affairs programme) had a piece last night on computer games effects on kids. The had this mother on who went on on and on about how she didn't like her son (who was about 10) to play games with a 15 rating. She struck me as the sort of person that would turn around and blame the games her son play on any disbehaviour. On the side of computer games they had the editor of a gaming mag who pointed out that the rating system does exist to tell parents that some games are not suitable for their kids. But I have a feeling that most mothers watching the program would side with the parent and ignore the professional gamer.

Unfortunately blaming computer games for warping kids minds is spreading over here fast.

Draco

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

we can't let them get away with pinnin this rap on us gamesplayers, time to arm up & lock n load.

on an different note, you can buy AK-47's from various U.S. Armament Auction websites, all you need is a VISA card and they post it out to you, and as interal post doesn't go through customs ..... Also availble were "gas grenades" with "fully functional" in big revolving letters after it. check out some of those auction sites, its actually unbelivable. fancy an M60? np sir, we've 2 for sale. the M60, thee heavy Machine Gun for home defense in the 90's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Lemmy

Yea like mount a radar controlled mini gun with built in grenade launcher on your balcony ...... ta keep the neighbours away like .....Krazy yanks !! hmpf..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Ahahahahahah! Someone just called Ian a "professional gamer"..... LOL!

Ahem. Sorry. I happen to work for the man... He uses a Mac, and never touched a playstation until 9 months ago. But he can sure twist a story.

I thought we did a nice fix-job on the Streetwise program actually. They wanted to do a feature which would show up games as being EEEEVVVILLLL, and essentially, we tried to appear to be as co-operative as possible, while at the same time undermining them completely. The coup de grace was when they asked for video footage of a game to show... and were given... Outcast. Yup, a game with practically no violence and a lot of exploration and character interaction.

I personally think that N2 managed to make themselves look very silly with that program, and I hope it did the games industry some good, because it sure was fun messing it up... smile.gif

Mata ne!
    Rob

Hmmmm - who ever said the CIA were masters of debunking? They obviously hadn't heard of Shinji & Co. smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Exactly how mny of us internet gamers are serial killers?
    uh why is everybody lookin at me...
    *ahem* smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Well they're blaming marilyn manson now. Cos he like wears makeup! And Keanu Reeves too. Cos he wore a coat in some film. Coats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep Coats, Millons have been killed by them......

Marilyn Manson oh Yeah Burn 'im on the cross....

Here btw have I shown you my new Vulcan M61 Machine Cannon its for hunting wabbits you know tongue.gif

Gandalf (Wearing his Star Striped Cuddles Jacket)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

must shoot and bomb hobbes, must shoot and bomb hobbes, must shoot and bomb hobbes, must shoot and bomb hobbes, must shoot and bomb hobbes, must shoot and bomb hobbes, must shoot and bomb hobbes..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

according to the good old folks at fox news
    making doom levels makes u suitable to kill loads of

http://www.foxnews.com/stage12.sml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

I'd really love to know how you knew that Nog. You scary man you.

Kegs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

In fairness Nog.... It's not that hard to find offensive weaponry here either. Just hunt any nearby stone walls and cattle sheds... They don't even ask for Visa cards! However you may find your kneecaps wandering away on their own, but it's a small price to pay for state-of-the-art military hardware!

Mata ne!
    Rob

http://www.foxnews.com/js_index.sml?content=/scitech/042299/columbine.sml:

Has anybody seen the amount of flak that computer games are taking in this article?
    The whole thing is a non-stop attack on the internet and computer gaming.

It did manage to come up with one gem however {must have taken them hours to get this one}:

"Parents should know what their kids are getting into,"

Now there's an idea. When your kids are walking by with Steyrs, M203's and grenades, be a good parent and kindly ask them if they are going out to 'play' or going to take part in a massacre of some sort.

• Advertisement

Hmm Hobbes is over in the US...He's played all these mind warping violent video games...has no doubt seen films where people wear trenchcoats...ALERT THE AUTHORITIES...HE'S A HUMAN TIMEBOMB!!

kegs, i was doing a wee search trying to find the armor thickness on a SU-152. one of the results was a lovely site
    www.moreammo.com
    their rather catchy slogan, "Shoot all you want, we'll make more" caught my imagination an i decided to see what you could buy in the line of weapons on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

personally i blame it on drinking too much bottles of 'champagne' cider.
    wow. i cought myself swinging out of the chandeliers last night (impressive thst)
    and for anybody whos read robert rankin......
    wheres my general electrics 7.64 mm chaingun (like the one blaine uses in predator smile.gif)
    white(there you goin city boy?)wash

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I seen in the Time yesterday the NRA are holding a national confrence in Denver next month...they're going to be welcomed with open arms....

Dra-(guns for show, knives for the pro's)-co

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

i agree von, hobbes must be 1/ tortured then 2/ killed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

I have another query Nog, why were you searching for the armor thickness of an SU-152? What is an SU-152 is the next thing I'd like to know...

Kegs.

I'll hazard a guess and say it's a WWII Russian Tank Destroyer. It's 90mm main gun is ideal for home defence and hunting.

good guess, its a WWII Russian Assault Gun armed with a 152mm main gun. Was used in an AT role as well.

Ah i got it mixed up with the SU 85 I think. Answer the question. What are you looking up Tank specs for? You up to something?

• Advertisement

Close Combat 3 - The Russian Front. Damn Russian SU-152's were gettin on my tits. No detailed specs on the armor included with the game.

Advertisement