Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

win xp shutdown error

Options
  • 29-08-2003 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

0x00000008e (0xc0000005, 0xf73e82dd, 0xf7c69a5c, 0x00000000)

whenever i try to shutdown my laptop it blue screens and the above is the error i get .ive looked up the error code in the ms site but cant find anything about it only ones simular .

it only started recently so i thought it must be a program or a process so i cancled the ones im not using but it still happens i cant think of anything it could be . ive already switched the ram. but im not sure what else to try ( afaik all drivers are up to date )

//edit
    just saw that if i press the power button instead of going start shutdown it dose not blue screen

and the same if i use teh task manager to shutdown

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

I'm relatively new to XP ( i have xp pro) and get grief sometimes as well...
    You might find some interesting articles and tech tips at
    www.windowsxpmagazine.co.uk

good site, check it out.

..and my task manager is virtually non-existent...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

are you using any logitech gear?

No logitech gear. (are you askin me or elexes? :)
    But, i might as well ask while we're talkin shutdown errors....

i always have an error message saying "ctfmon.exe" is not responding...any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

nop no logi geer but thx for the site will look there .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

WinTasks Process Library

ctfmon - ctfmon.exe - Process Information
    Process File: ctfmon or ctfmon.exe
    Process Name: Alternative User Input Services
    Description: Handles Alternative User Input Text Processor (TIP) and the Microsoft Office Language Bar. Ctfmon.exe provides text input support for speech recognition, handwriting recognition, keyboard, translation, and other alternative user input technologies
    Common Errors: N/A
    System Process: No

You got multilingual support turned on for your keyboard (ie: choice of input languages?)

Official MS documentation of CTFMON:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q282/5/99.asp&NoWebContent=1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

As far as I know, there are some patches (maybe part of windows update) for various shutdown errors from the MS site.

ah-aaaaaaaa, got in now:rolleyes: , thanks LoLth !
    I had the voice/speech recognition and languages on.

Cheers.

Advertisement