Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Content Management for MAC ??

Options
  • 29-08-2003 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

I have a client who I designed a small site for, part of the deal was that they looked after the updating of the site themselves, I was looking at using Macromedia Contribute as the tool to do this..

the problem...

They use a MAC OS 9.2 and Contribute only runs on OS 10.1.5 or above...

As I am MAC ignorant, I was wondering if there are any free / inexpensive tools out there that will do the job ( user is not a programmer, needs to be cut and paste type operation as they will only be adding text / images and new pages within a folder with links back to an archive menu list ).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Boog.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you gave them a web-based CMS with a simple interface it wouldn't matter what they were running locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Thanks blacknight, but could you elaborate on that a bit! I don't know much about content management - and nothing about web-based content management. How would I go about implementing this? what costs are involved etc?

Thanks,
    Boog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Costings for web based Content management systems generally depend on the size of the website.

As far as getting your hands on a system - there are numerous ones out there, just google CMS or content management systems.

HOWEVER - contrary to what Blacknight says (sorry blacknight, been there before and had issues!).

Most of the cheaper solutions can't provide the same level of functionality across different OS's. For example, most CMS's have some sort of in browser WYSIWYG editor, these are generally not cross browser compatible, or cross platform compatible.

Unfortunately I don't know any that would actually work without problems on a mac.

So if anyone has any experience please let us all know! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Tom's right of course - I had forgotten about the browser problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

You'd probably have to script it yourself. Depending on what the host supports and the 9x browser supports. All you need is a bit of JS/Php. Be quicker and easier to do that than buying something I reckon. Two days with a good book and you'd have done it. You're only limited by what the host supports really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement