Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Use your SU for advice/information and just about anything

• 29-08-2003 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭

Recently I've noticed that there have been a lot of questions regarding grants/entries to courses, grading systems, transferring courses etc., etc,

A lot of these questions can and will be answered by your students union in your college (even sometimes when you are not even a student in the college)

Students Unions are extremely helpful and have a lot of experience in answering questions on all the above things I listed and more.

The thing is you pay for them anyway. Almost every 3rd level college which is publicly funded has a students union but when you pay the €670 capitation fee to the college a certain percentage of this goes to the SU. In Universitys I think its around 5% and in ITs its around 10 to 20%.

The majority of SUs in the country employ 2 fulltime (sabbatical) officers. Some employ more, others only have one. But if you think about it you are paying these people so why shouldn’t you avail of the service and ask them for help and/or info.

You can find contact details for most SUs on the website www.usi.ie (although some contact info may be out of date)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Dont mind Johnny ;)

He used to be in the SU

Just pm him... its a lot more conveinient :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Just trying to be helpful, yes you can PM me for queries but as I said above you are paying your SU officers

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Headcase

funding for SU's varies from College to college.
    as do wages.
    WIT Sabs are highest paid by far, but work load for them is enormous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

Originally posted by Johnnymcg
    Just trying to be helpful, yes you can PM me for queries but as I said above you are paying your SU officers

Really?, do they take a cut from the 700 (approx) registration fee, how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It depends on each college,

some colleges will give their unions a fixed budget others give an amount per student. Traditionally University SUs will get less per student than ITs and other colleges.

SU sabbaticals are earning on average wages ranging from €17 - €25 k and believe me this is well deserved,

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by myhandle
    Really?, do they take a cut from the 700 (approx) registration fee, how much?
    AFAIK in UL it's about 120 of the (about) 700. Clubs and socs are funded out of this as well.

Advertisement