Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question re getting latest version of XP

Options
  • 29-08-2003 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to wipe my machine, and then re-install and also upgrade to the latest version of XP. Now, rather than downloading all the updates (with my 56k modem) that have come out since I bought my new PC last year, I've heard that some of the PC magazines issue the updates with their free monthly CD. I've had a look in my nearest shop but so far I've had no joy. Anyone know of a magazine that supplies what I'm looking for?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Lots os linux users will happily burn CD's to spread the message

[ironic] surely it would not be too difficult to make a CD with all the service packs patches for Windows and IE and Office and keep it up to date ?

(especially if you have to specify the load order of them....
    I really like the way M$ say that it is NOT for copyprotect reasons that the office 2K service pack asks for the original media

Perhaps a marketing opportunity for a Web Cafe - latest M$ service packs - burnt on to CD while you surf....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

ReefBreak when you get Xp installed if you mail me the links of what you want DL I will stick them on a cd-r and mail them to you if thats of any help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Wonder why technet isnt available for free for that very reason.
    Well teh service pack cds anyway.

Reef the nerdy PC mags in Easons will have them ,definitley the one called Windows :D

Its has everything you need and even a little more about €9 tho

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

You can order Windows XP SP1 direct from the devil, I mean Microsoft for FREE (no p&p) from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Theres a WinXP monthly mag that gives the updates on acover cd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Thanks all, I'm going to order it from Beelzebub, er, Microsoft from the link above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

you can also get office XP SP2 on CD from them if you want - you might have to ring up though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

ReefBreak
    for future reference
    you can copy the i386 directory from cd to hd..

then run update.exe of windowsxp service pack..
    it updates all the dlls,infs etc
    to higher versions included in the service pack

then run setup from i386 directory

xp will install with sp1 preinstalled

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

as long as you don't put in the same one as was already on the machine !

ps. \i386\winnt32 /cmdcons
    allows you to delete files without starting the GUI - handy for some trojans.

Advertisement