Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games and killing (continued)

Options
  • 27-04-1999 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Guys, after watching TV this morning, the game industry is fuked unless someone speaks up about it.

They pretty much said Doom (and other kind of games) was turning normal kids into well trained killing machines, and if it wasn't for the games the incident proberly wouldn't of happend.

You's can laugh, but over here they have frozen the release of two movies, changed various TV shows which may something that is considered the trigger (eg. Buffy episode may never show).

If this keeps up, I can see Q3 being either sheveled, banned or nerfed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

doubt it hobbes, they blamed films & "video nasties" for stuff in the 80's and they're still here. money talks in the gold olde USA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

Yeah some of the coverage is pretty bizzare, was it the games, movies, internet....... there's no way it is the fact you can buy guns at a gunshow with no id or waiting period, fu[kin bints.

shank1@usa.net
    q2n.quake.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Thay are changing the gun rules now.

you have to be over 18 to own a semi-automatic (WTF Would someone need one for?!)

There is a gun waiting period again and some other rules.

and I mean they are strip searching people because they are wearing trenchcoats into school! (see slashdot.org post).

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 27-04-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Suds

What is very sad is -

The reality is that all these bad things can affect people who are "vunerable" or already insane.

Show a mentally ill person how to knit - they will and will do it continuously -therapy in habit

Show a mentally ill person how to shoot and kill people- they will and will do it continuously -therapy in habit

remove guns and people will find something else to kill with

but the reality is - these people were nuts/endangered/dangerous/mad/insane/probably insane already.

free a niper..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Elvis and rock n roll was banned throughout much of the world in the 50's cos it corrupted ppl,

In the 60's Brendan Behans 'The Borstal Boy' was banned cos it corrupted ppl,

We have a film and tv censor cos tv and films corrupt ppl

For all of history and all our lifetimes ppl with work on behalf of 'the greater good' a to protect 'the moral majority' and ban stuff. That is life, we live in increasingly right wing times, where even so called left wing ppl sound like 1980's torys.

Tis a political fact that 80%plus odd of 'people' are stupid, politically anyway. They believe whatever the telly and the newspapers tell them. Most people take their opinions and information from only one source, be it one newspaper or tv station, who in turn have a mandate from owners with a particular agenda, be they, Tony O'Reilly or Rupert Murdock, whoever.

People love to jump on a bandwaggon. Hence the whole, I dont understand computers so they are bad. I read that mortal kombat had blood in it so it too is bad. therefore when this nutter says mortal kombat made me do it he is telling the truth so we must ban it.

The fact is that the fault is with the parents and the education system for letting ppl slip through. If a kid can get to a stage where she or he cannot see reality from a game or video (which hasent really been proven by independent ppl BTW) there is a big time problem with both the parenting and the childs education.

anyway I could go on all day and I doubt anyone here gives a monkeys so I'll get back to work

vagga

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

Suds, I'd prefare to take my chances against a loon with knitting needles over one with a magnum.

shank1@usa.net
    q2n.quake.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

Depends how big the loon is tho doesn't it really, Shank?

I mean I'd rather be over powered by some loon and shot in the head with the magnum than be over powered by some loon and stabbed in the face with knitting needles repeatedly for 3 hours until dead.

That's only my opinion tho, if it got anal than I'm sure things would be different. Unless the magnum was unloaded.

*yummy...*

Advertisement