Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving hard drive

• 29-08-2003 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Should a hard drive still boot up and work properly when it is moved from one pc to another pc? ie. another pc with different peripherals etc. The os is windows xp and I'm getting an annoying hard drive error when trying to boot up in this other pc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭Polonious

It should if the second pc is of similar spec. Also make sure that if the HD was primary master in the first pc that it is the same in the second pc...

What was the error?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Xp will kick up a fuss if the hardware has more than 4 differences(i think) between them. I think it asks you to reactivate the OS. Can anyone check that cause i dont have the time to look.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

CHS - cylinders heads sectors - some BIOSES let you choose mode of hdd - check the settings on the old PC first so the match with the newone.

if it is a SCSI drive you may need to move the controller too

in NT / 2K having a different IDE controller was just asking for a boot failure.

M$ OS's (and backup solutions) are not designed to be moved between PC's - sorta copy protection mechanism

Win 98 is nice this way - will boot up even if most devices fail...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Have you tried putting in the cd and running the repair program when booting up?I.E. SET CDROM AS FIRST BOOT DEVICE IN BIOS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Yeah I tried the repair option but all that did was let me into the partitioned drives in dos mode. XP does seems picky about hardware changes. The error was saying that there was some differences in hardware and would not start up in case there was going to be data corruption. It was a blue screen but not the blue screen of death. More of a navy, fewer words and not much hex there either.

Unfortunately I took the drastic measure of reformatting the first partition which in retrospect might not of been the smartest thing to do but at least I can use the computer now. Changing the CHS would of been a better idea to try at least. Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement