Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a good CD read/write burner

Options
  • 27-04-1999 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know a good one to get? It's got to do everything! smile.gif Price is no object. Just point me to a web page so I can get a look at it or suggest something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Apparently according to my customers the Yamaha is the dogs bollix when it comes to CD-RW's.

External SCSI P/N CDRW4416SX-VK 4X/4X/16X
    Internal SCSI P/N CDRW4416S-VK as above

You should get good prices on these in the US, the normal price here is about £315.00 + VAT for the external model.

They apparently are very good for making backup copies of your favourite music cd's wink.gif

Thats all for now,

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Going for the 7500e HP. it's only x2x2x6 but it's portable, which is pretty handy smile.gif

was going to go for the top of the range one, but it's only internal and looks like it's more for mass quantities (x4x4x24)

Anyone know when the DVD rewritables will be coming out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Hobbes

DVD-R is currently available but its pricey, only model ive seen so far is £9999 + VAT
    like anyone would be fooled into thinking that its not £10,000.

A great alternative is DVD RAM, if you just want it for removable storage purposes (and the fact u can use it just like a hard drive, ie copy and paste files onto it and rearrange them as you would do on a harddrive.

DVD RAM is supposedly on readable by a DVD RAM drive. Manufacturers are Panasonic, LA CIE, ASUS and more recently Creative Labs. They are all about $499 and a double sided 5.2 gig disk is about £30. very cheap storage.

Cheak out the creative labs site, it claims that ist disks can be read by more moderm DVD ROM drives.

The LA CIE is a bit cool cos its an external model. As far as I know all the RAM drives are scsi, but would you use anything else.

As for a CD RW the yamaha 4416 id about the best you can get, it has a 2 meg buffer, v important to ensure no buffer underruns and it has an external model. Comes in both scsi and ide both rated very highly and yamaha are currently in a price war with ricoh.

I bought my yamaha about 2 months ago as it has fallen by £70 stg.

Its probably not much more expensive than the HP writes twice as fast and the 16 speed read means its usable as a rom drive also.

Advertisement