Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Plasma Tv For 1500 Euro Brand New

Options
  • 29-08-2003 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Lads

I came in contact witha person on www.ebay.co.uk, this person is selling me SONY 50" Plasma for £1400 POUND, i m sure he will come down, but i have some doubt, he said he will do UPS delivery insured, the TV is full warranted for next 3 years and boxed new, and
    i asked him if he would do a delivery to IRELAND and he said yes, inow i asked one more time and he is saying that at the moment he is in ITALY he want money thru WESTERNUNIOIN and he is saying he will post the TV as soon as he gets the money but he wants money to ROME address while he maintains a yahoo.co.uk is
    moreover, he is listed at www.ebay.co.uk

i have no clue what to do,,,,
    one thing i want to buy this product but not sure abt his identity

IS THIS A FRAUD!!!!
    ANY COMMENTS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

id say its a fraud - western union is well used for that purpose !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

If a deal sounds too good to be true, then it usually is...

Sounds like you should avoid this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

I generally stay away from using Western Union as you have very little comeback with it. You have a bit more insurance paying with your credit card. I have heard of a few instances of fraud in fact i think it was Eth0 that had some serious problems on the business board a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

A few months ago, there were buckets of stories about people selling plasma TV's for rock bottom prices. All of the stories told of scams, lost money and no delivery. Havent seen any recently, but my guess is that this is the same thing!

What sort of feedback rating does the seller have? If s/he is legit, then there should be SEVERAL if not 100's of good feedback. If there is only a few comments, chances are that the person created bogey email accounts and sent praise to himself!

I would advise you to walk away! As Viking said, if it sounds to good to be true, then you can be fairley sure that it is!

Jab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

I'm 99% certain that this is a fraud. There are lots of people scamming this way in Greece, for example and all use Western Union as a means of securing the money. Walk away.

Even ebay feedback isn't a guarantee in these cases as people register dozens of bogus accounts and use them to bolster the feedback between accounts over a number of bogus auctions.

MY ADVICE IS LEAVE THIS ONE WELL ALONE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

it sounds a bit odd, Sony's 50" plasma is only a brand new product in europe ( ireland anyway, but afaik europe is the same) and is only being released next month at a retail price of €15,000 ( 15 Thousand)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Here is his first message to me

Hi there and thanks for your interest.

I have these items in stock.All are new still in original box unopened and are covered by a 3 years manufacturer warranty.The TVs are made for european market.
    Because of the multiple problems that I have had with non paying bidders I've decided to restrict the bidding for my auctions.

If you are interested in buying something from me here is my price list:

Sony PFM 50C1 50" Plasma TV : 1500 GBP
    Philips 50FD9955 flat screen/plasma tv : 1700 GBP

The shipping and insurance cost is included in the price.
    The shipping will be done through UPS 2 days .
    Please let me know if you want to order something from me or if you don't agree with the above prices please let me know what is the best price that you can offer me and I will consider it.
    I will wait your answer as soon as possible since I have many interested customers.

Warm Regards,
    NICK

then i asked
    WILL U POST TO IRELAND AND WHAT WOULD BE MODE OF PAYMENT?
    AND HIS ANSWER IS GIVEN IN NEXT BOX

AND HERE IS HIS REPLY TO ME FOR PAYMENT THINGS Hi

For the moment I accept payment only in cash through wire transfer because I am currently in Rome, Italy with business. If you want to complete this transaction, please email me your full name and address. The shipping will be made through UPS fully insured. Payment will be done through Western Union or Money Gram. Please visit www.westernunion.com to find the nearest Western Union office, or just go to your local Post Office and you'll probably find an Western Union office there. With Western Union, your money is transferred immediately, and usually arrives at the receiving end in 10 minutes while other services can take days or weeks. There are no complicated
    procedures and you don't need a bank account or credit card.
    To send the money bring some identification and fill in a short,
    simple form. Pay for the amount of money you want to send, plus the Western Union service fee. You will be given a MTCN (Money Transfer Control Number). After you make the wire transfer just mail me the MTCN to allow me to check the payment on-line.
    As soon as the payment verifies your package will be shipped and you will get your tracking number to be able to track it for yourself. Here are my details that you need for the money transfer:

Nick Young
    Address: Corso Lodi 16,
    Zip: 00187
    City: Rome

Please confirm me your order as soon as possible so i can hold one unit for you.
    Warm Regards,
    Nick

NOW I HAVE NOT REPLIED HIM BUT I THOUGHT OF PAYING HIM THROUGH ESCROW BUT NOW WILL WAIT MORE TIMES AS PER ADVISE BY YOU GUYS. I AM ALSO POSTING HIS NUMBER ON EBAY..JUST HAVE A LOOK, HE HAS AROUND 15 FEEDBACK http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3043401998

things TO notice is

THANKS FOR YOURE ADVISE TILL NOW,he is shown as registered in united states, having yahoo.co.uk id and asking payment in ITALY naming himself NICK,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

http://www.audiosound.com/sonpf50flatp.html

Here is that TV from a decent AV shop in US.

RRP $12,499

AV price $7500

Nice telly tho.

kdjac

Walk away.

Registered in the US. Previous auctions were conducted within US etc...

This is most likely a hijacked e-bay account.

Think about it. Nobody in their right mind would sell €15,000 worth of equipment for €1,500. Unless of course its a scam or its stolen. Either way, its of no use to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

RED ALERT RED ALERT RED ALERT!!!!!

dont buy this as others have said its a scam.

i guy selling from uk based in italy want westernunion....let me think ....ahem NO!!!!

i nearly got scammed for 2 biggies in a case like this....

he will eiter refuse escrow or choose some peculiar firm for ir, or will take his chances and get some of your money. i know for a fact that a group in the uk were doing this to also get your bank and cc details...DONT DO IT

if you are going to buy off ebay (and i do and did and strongly recommend it) for one of these i would only go with the platinum sellers....and platinum sellers who sell plasmas.

if you want my advice....stay away...its hard, i know cos its looks so good...but it is an illusion....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

NOW I HAVE NOT REPLIED HIM BUT I THOUGHT OF PAYING HIM THROUGH ESCROW BUT NOW WILL WAIT MORE TIMES AS PER ADVISE BY YOU GUYS
    he is shown as registered in united states, having yahoo.co.uk id and asking payment in ITALY naming himself NICK,

Do NOT send money on this or any other basis. This is a well known scam method - do a search on avsforum.com for "ebay" and you'll see lots of instances......

For fun, send the guy an email saying that you (or your fictitious cousin) saying you'd like to pick up the plasma screen in person and pay him on the spot - absoute guarantee that he'll back off double quick with any number of excuses why he cant do it that way.

If it looks too good to be true, that's because.............

IT'S A SCAM.

For goodness sake don't throw your money away.

The Ritzzzzzzz.

Ritz, thats an excellent idea!
    Tell him your brother is in XXXXX next week an will pick it up!!!
    It would be so funny to watch him squirm!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

SCAM ALERT!

Dude, it's a con, don't do it!

If it looks like a con, sounds like a con and feels like a con, what are the chances of it not being a con? pretty much none, I can tell you.

This is the oldest one in the ebay scams book.

same thing happened to me when I started using ebay, and did the same thing. couple of emails back and forth, he said he'd deliver to dublin, but i still wasn't sure.

do what I did and ask him what guarantees you have it's not a con. don't tell him others have told you not to do it, just say you're worried about laying out that much cash.

i guarantee he's gonna come out with the standard reply to this question: if you are worried, send the money to my western union, but use a different name, and then if you give me the tracking number i can go and see that the money is there, but because it's not in my name i can't get to it, but i can see that it's there, and i will send you the TV. once you have received the tv and are happy you call western union and change the name on the transfer to mine and i'll pick it up and we're both happy.'

i wasn't so sure about all this, and did some research and it turns out it is a very well known con, see below:

http://msnbc.com/news/773280.asp?0si=-&cp1=1#BODY

basically he'll go into western union with just about any fake ID (doesn't even need to be in the right name) and as long as he has the tracking number to pick it up with he can get the cash there and then and WU won't do a thing for you about getting it back.

WU is designed for your mum to send you cash when you're stranded in Oz with no dough, not for business transactions with strangers in foriegn countries.

tell him to fvck off and get a job, or better still report him to ebay and they will close his account. you can do this here: http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/basics/select-RS.html

anyway, i've just reported him to ebay, so he should be gone before long anyway.

anyone in any doubt about if this is a con or not, think about it. if it was for real and you had a bunch (or even one) and you could afford to sell something that valuable for that little you'd be straight down to your local AV shop selling them rather than messing round on ebay wouldn't you?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Hey Vibe........

anyway, i've just reported him to ebay, so he should be gone before long anyway.

....... cool move - never dawned on me to do that /blush/.

The Ritzzzzzzzzzz.

always the best choice. if he is genuine, then he's got nothing to worry about, but if he's not it might save a few people who don't ask about it before sending their cash to him a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

if someone on ebay will only accept WU, you can be 99.997% sure its a scam.

This one is 100% scam, offering to pick it up is a great idea!!

thanks LADS
    thanks for saving my money
    yes he is just disappeared from EBAY.
    i think that compaint worked buddy!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

cool, another wallet, saved by boards!

Reply from eBay
    Thank you for your report. We have reviewed the user ID you have brought to our attention and taken the appropriate action.

Please be assured, if a violation of eBay policy has occurred, we will take the appropriate action in accordance with our site policies. Such action may include issuing a warning, temporary suspension, indefinite suspension or terminating the membership.

Due to eBay's Privacy policy we are unable to provide information regarding the details of another user's account. We are equally concerned about violations on the site, and will thoroughly investigate each report we receive. However, the details of our actions cannot be disclosed with third party members. Please remember that this is for the protection of all eBay users.

To see if a user id is currently registered with eBay please check their feedback profile with the following web address:

http://pages.ebay.com/services/forum/feedback-login.html

This page will tell you if the member is no longer registered with eBay.

We appreciate your vigilance in helping us to keep eBay a safe place to trade.

Best wishes,

Steve Parker
    eBay Trust and Safety
    Original Message Follows:

Form Message
    Subject: A user is falsely representing that he or she is another eBay member. 43####02 #UK RD1 US

looks like someone has stolen an ebay member id and is trying the plasma tv scam.

i found out through a friend who was almost taken in by it and asked me what i thought.

anyway the auction is over, but the user is still using the identity.
    here is the last auction: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3043401998

thanks.
    Guess we got that one then :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement