Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recheck dilemma

Options
  • 29-08-2003 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, here is the problem. I got the minimum points for my coarse and got it on random selection.
    I got a b3 in geogrpahy, down from an a2 in the mocks. It is a bit of a joke, but I digress. Should I get a recheck? If i drop 5 points will I lose my precious coarse? Is it worth it, because I want what I think I deserve.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

only you can answer those questions. Did you view your script? do yo uthink there was an error? the leaving cert is all about getting into college, when you ahve your degree, no employer will give a **** about what you go in geography. Also geography was marked way different to what i expected also

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

haven't seen it yet.
    I suppose I'll wait until then.

no point in doing it before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

personally i couldnt be bothered. who cares what you got?

Me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

jesus, thats very stupid sangre...

You got your course move on... You could end crying all the way back to 6th yr repeating..

Bad move i must say..

cartman

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Two questions.
    You got your first choice?
    You are happy with it?

If the anwser to those two quesitons are yes stop being so stupid and be grateful for the fact that you got in on random selection.
    Think of the people who didnt get in, and how happy they would be to hear of some moron getting a re check meaning that he might go down in points.
    So if you care about those people, then get the re check, but otherwise stop being silly!

There is absolutly no reason whatsoever for you to get it re checked!!
    Means to an end!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by Sangre
    ...I got a b3 in geogrpahy, down from an a2 in the mocks. It is a bit of a joke, but I digress...

Why do people continually compare what they got in the mocks with what they got in the LC? You can only compare like with like and these two exams are as far apart as chalk and cheese.

The mocks are written by commercial companies, usually with the help of teachers. The marking schemes are often dubious to say the least - ever seen one? There are no safeguards to make sure that exams are corrected fairly and consistently - I have seen papers returned with crazy marks.

The LC paper is written by an inspector for that subject in the Dept of Education. Each person correcting a paper must attend a marking conference in Athlone where the paper and marking schemes are gone through in the presence of the advising examiner and inspector for that subject. Papers are marked at the conference to see what possible situations could arise and decisions are made by the powers that be in relations to marks to be awarded. When an examiner goes home with his/her bag of 300+ papers, they have to send in regular numbers of them to be re-checked by an advising examiner who determines if the marking scheme is being followed and if they are being consistent in their marking. If its found that they are not, the papers have to be regraded.

Finally, both papers were different - different questions asked, etc. So you can't compare results.

Therefore your mark in the LC is probably a truer reflection of your ability in the subject (sorry to dent your pride!).

Given that you've gotten your course, I'd quit while I was ahead.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

Oh and Sangre,
    I know alot of people who were disapointed with their results in geography..

It was marked very hard so you may very well go down in points...
    cartman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

imo i think ud go up in marks if u rechecked but theres no way id take the chance when uve already got ur course ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

when are the marking schemes up on the dept. website??

Well Im back from my holidays....
    Didn't bother to get it re-checked, but I should have done Maths, Im fairly sure they screwed me over...

Anyway Delphi, my mocks and LC papers were very similiar, with all questions being quite alike.
    But I have come to the conclusion that it is my teachers fault....no really. For my fieldwork he gave me an A1, in the LC I got a c1. In every other pre-prepared question I went way down aswell. I really hate that waster now. I put so much study into that subject on topics I thought would get me marks, now I realise it was a waste of fecking time. Bástard.

hmmm in geography they went to town on anythign that looked learnt off and banged down. Is this how your fieldwork appeared, did you atually do a fieldwork project, or just learn off an essay

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Also if everyone in your class has almost identical essays they downgrade the mark.

That said last year in my mocks I got a B1, I got a C3 in my lc. I'd say alot of geog teachers dont do actual field work studys that are deemed correct by lc correctors.

No, I did my own fieldwork.

For facts in essays I used everything I could find from books, and more from offical websites.

Advertisement