Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yet another winback call from Eircom

Options
  • 29-08-2003 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else *still* getting winback calls from Eircom despite multiple requests for them to stop?

They were almost a monthly occurrence for us between switching to UTV last September and this March, when I finally seemed to get the message across that yes, we are happy with UTV and no we will not be coming back to them (especially as I can now only get speeds of 4.8kbps the rare time I connect to the Eircom free number).

This evening I go for a walk for half an hour and the mother gets another one from them, pushing their ‘great new flat rate service.’ They really have an uncanny knack of doing this the instant I leave the house and my mother is far too nice an old lady to just tell them where to go. Luckily she’s been coached enough at this stage to say that we are quite happy with what we have, but they convinced her to let them send us some leaflets explaining their ‘great new rates’.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 musiccccdub

I'm a bit miffed ... switched over nearly two months ago and not one call back ... was it something I said?

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

switched to utv last october-had my sixth winback call from eircom this week-at this stage the jehovah witnesses seem less intrusive- maybe eircom is a religion

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Let us pray....
    Oh great god Nolan...........

anyways......... We switched to Esat when they released "no" limits (years ago), and then last september/october/whenever it was (sometime last year) we switched straight from them to UTV...... (EUGH that was a messy transition)......
    and yes, we STILL get winback reps, even after multiple requests to never return again, altho merely mentioning the 3 sacred letters "UTV" makes them scurry back to the temple of Rats in fear because they know they cant win us back :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

sixtysix,

Quote: " maybe eircom is a religion " end quote.

Not sure, about a religion?..but it certainly is a calling*!.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Eircom have been calling me every few weeks for many years now. The only solution is to get rid of your landline.

Edit: They haven't been calling me much recently. I think this may be because I always gave them a piece of my mind. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Inform them there are laws and regulations laid down about win back calls and that you are going to report them to ComReg for harrasing you. Every few weeks...that's bloody ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Consultation has only just completed on this unfortunately (in other words it'll be some time before they actually do anything about it).

As you can see from here, it's three years since the ODTR said they'd do something about it. They sat on their toddies for two and a half years before waking up one morning and deciding to actually do what they said they would. Ocean made a complaint about Eircom sales tactics only 46 days after CPS was introduced. Comreg took another 900-odd days to actually do anything about it[1]. And even when they did, they didn't really do anything about it.

So after three years, Comreg made a "no contact for three months" ruling (available here) in January of this year. Given that consultation has only just finished on winback activities, these rulings are still in place.

If I've left anything out, I'm sure Muck will let us know.

What Comreg really need to do is have a "don't ever ever call me" list. Mind you, we need one of those for other idiots ringing, wanting to know if you want to join a gym, get cable TV or change phone provider as well. I'd suggest a high decibel whistle next to your phone in the meantime.

[1]Still pales when compared to mobile number portability. Came up in Decision notice D1/99. They decided they didn't really like it. Took four and a half years to come into effect. Comreg moves like molasses. I suppose you could blame the ODTR's lack of power but that's a get out of jail free card that you can use only so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by sceptre

If I've left anything out, I'm sure Muck will let us know.

What Comreg really need to do is have a "don't ever ever call me" list.

No.

I would point out that a proper consumer regulator such as the ODCA normally enforces direct marketing and telesales optouts. If you sign up for a bank loan or a car loan or a dunnes stores card then there are three boxes to tick if you wish to OPT IN to them.

1. You may contact me with other offers
    2. You may contact me with third party offers
    3. You may GIVE my details to third parties so that they can contact me themselves.

A crap regulator like Comreg is totally negligent in its Consumer Protection functions.

If I got no satisfaction out of Comreg with regard to winback activites.....namely that they carried on after I has asked Eircom to stop and after having asked Comreg to stop Eircom.....then I would raise the issue with the Ombudsman. Comreg are in dereliction of their statutory duties at this point when it comes to protecting the Consumer.

Unlike the diluted glass of cold piss that is the ASAI the Ombudsman has teeth. See a Brief Description.

If you have asked Comreg to stop Eircom and if Comreg are still in dereliction then contact the Ombudsman Here and get them to investigate Comreg.

This has gone on for far too long.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Muck
    No.

I would point out that a proper consumer regulator such as the ODCA normally enforces direct marketing and telesales optouts.

If I got no satisfaction out of Comreg with regard to winback activites.....namely that they carried on after I has asked Eircom to stop and after having asked Comreg to stop Eircom.....then I would raise the issue with the Ombudsman.
    Aye, I should have mtioned the ODCA or Emily O'Reilly instead in that paragraph.

(people keep taking my name out of the phone book to ring about their "services". My own fault for leaving it in. Damn you South Court Hotel (the latest whistle-victims)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I am totally with {eth0_} on this one. However, I would put it in writing via registered snail mail, with a c.c. at the bottom stating. Copies to:-

1,The Ombudsman.
    2,Comreg.
    3,ODCA.
    4,Mr Dermot Ahern, Minister for Telecommunications etc,{Full title}

P.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Ok, this is all about Win BACKS, but what about the likes of ESAT constantly ringing trying to get your business? 4 times in the past 3 months I've had ESAT on the phone and every time I've told them I'm with UTV and have no intentions of moving to them. Next time they ring, god help the poor unfortunate who's ringing 'cause they're gonna get an earful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Switched to UTV just as it was available and while i wasnt around (not living at home any more) eircom guy comes around to the house and convinces my mother to move back over to them.

After giving her numerous warnings about such over the past while about why not to switch back over, 'He was to fast for me' and various other whines were her excuse.

This is after months of calls when i was at home telling them neaver to call again / you suck etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

When they are on the phone just say
    'what are your prices for weekend local calls?'
    'what are your prices for weekday local calls?'
    'what are your prices for evening local calls?'

'what are your prices for weekend Australia calls?'
    'what are your prices for weekday Australia calls?'
    'what are your prices for evening Australia calls?'

'Can you please go through rates for every country in the world?'

Put it on speaker and sit back with your friends and have a good laugh at them.

If they try to hang up or get out of the call ...
    'Whats your name? Don't be ignprant. I'm trying to get informatiopn from you so i can go back to Eircom. If you hang up on me giveme the number of your supervisor.'

I'm evil, but it would be funny at least once to get thoise ****ers back

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

A Lo-tech solution to discouraging winback calls?

The Gardai recommended to a friend of mine that she use this technique in order to deal with nuisance calls or telephone stalkers.

Answer your phone without identifying yourself and without speaking at all. Wait for the caller to speak. DO NOT SPEAK AT ALL yourself. Listen just long enough to establish the purpose/nature of the call. Again, do not speak to the caller at any time. Do not reply to any questions they might ask. Take a loud whistle that you have stored beside the phone and simply blow it as hard as you can. Then hang up. If the person calls back, repeat the procedure. If the calls persist, contact the Gardai and report the call as a nuisance call

You might still get contacted but at least you have the satisfaction of taking direct action.

Gibs

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

I'm amazed the guards recommended this. Blow your whistle hard enough, and it'll constitute ABH.

Advertisement