Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[New Forum] Mobile Computing

Options
  • 29-08-2003 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

I have read the previous request for a pda/mobile computing forum here. the thread suggested that there was not enough interest to warrent a new forum. but i disagree.

Mobile Computing is a diverse subject that encompassses issues such as mobile software, PDA's, PDA/mobile phone hybrids, connectivity(Ir, Bluetooth, Wifi), storage media, older machines such as the psion's, accessories, etc... that would be of no interest to people other then PDA owners/users.

The subject cant be thrown into the Technology forum to mix with all the other tech it is too broad a subject to be placed in an already broad enough forum technology.

I myself find it slightly annoying to have to search through all the new threads to find information/discussions on mobile issues.

The sales of PDA's and other mobile devices has gone through the roof in the past 12 months and is going to keep increasing for the forseeable future. So a forum on this subject will have an increasing number of users as more people buy into the market.

Does anyone agree/disagree?? suggestions?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

most of that stuff is either covered by technology or the wireless board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

if people had a place where all this information was togther there would be more traffic and you wouldnt have to look for the threads amongst all the other stuff.

It would also make it easier to get advice and help on mobile computing issues instead of having to go to wireless for your bluetooth and WiFi, tech for memory cards and where do you go for Pocket PC 2003 help??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by evilhomer
    and where do you go for Pocket PC 2003 help??
    Windows forum I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Maybe change wireless to Wireless/Mobile Computing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

The point is that you can get anwsers to most of your questions if you go around several forums, but it would be better to have the people who know the anwsers and enjoy Mobile Computing in the same place.
    Maybe change wireless to Wireless/Mobile Computing?

Yeah that would do it. since most people into wireless will have PDA's or at lest laptops which are also mobile(kinda) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I wonder should it just be left at Wireless / Mobile to incorporate phones as well?

J.
    --

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

into GSM phones Vs. everything else (inc Bluetooth on phones)

Or split into WiFi Vs. everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

think the Wireless / Mobile title is perfect and covers all the topics set out by the Mods in the What's this board about? sticky

so you can (and could) go there for Windows Mobile 2003 (Pocket PC 2003) queries on devices, the OS, connectivity...

might be helpful if the Net/Comms and Tech Mods can move any relevant stuff towards the board....

BrianG

Advertisement