Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucent Modem

• 30-08-2003 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭

someone recommended these to me. what are they like performance wise. are they ****e, good or excellent. i think my modem is almost knackered. awkward connecting problems and the like. if they are also ****e what would ye recommend. i'm looking for a 56K modem BTW

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

A lot of oem PCs use lucent modems. I had one years ago and had no probs at all and afaik it's still going strong with the new owner.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I got one a while back after they were recommended for gaming and it was totally $hit.
    The pings were all over the place,kept disconnecting and then connecting at 33600 every time I dialled up.
    POS if you ask me.
    Buy an external modem( serial not usb).Much better.
    I got a US robotics sportster(or something)and the performance is excellent.Great d/l speeds stable pings and always connects at 50666.
    Can even play bf1942 with pings as low as 128-150 on Uk servers with the thing.

Pc world had a few Hayes Acura for €50 last week which I believe are a good external modem.They were in the specials section in Liffey Valley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

To be honest I think at this stage you would be better off getting broadband installed than investing in a modem. Most modems made these days are winmodems and they use CPU time in order to function. No use in them. Get broadband from anyone but Eircom, who will let you rent a DSL modem as part of the monthly rental.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Winmodems in some cases will give you better ping than hardware modems, but i think thats only in fast computers. As far as i know most(all?) exchanges in ireland are v9.2 enabled so get one of them
    I used to have a lucent modem and had absolutely no problems with it, my current modem is better, but i only noticed the difference in games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Matfinn
    To be honest I think at this stage you would be better off getting broadband installed than investing in a modem. Most modems made these days are winmodems and they use CPU time in order to function. No use in them. Get broadband from anyone but Eircom, who will let you rent a DSL modem as part of the monthly rental.

Matt

if broadband was available to me i would certainly consider it but sadly it isn't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

..... then wait until it is available in your area. Stick with your modem for now and just wait. Are you in a rural area far away from the exchange?

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i rang Eircom to see when they plan to upgrade my exchange and i was told that it won't be done for a long time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

I have one atm, Lucent LT 56k Winmodem v.90. Brilliant for gaming (pity about my ISP - nolimits) but on a good day in CS, I get average 130.

Bad days then, I get about 170-200.

Agere are the new owners, mine uses the Agere chipset.

Get a DSL line filter and stick it in the modem line socket when your using a modem. With that, I get a constant 44k -> 46k connection.

Advertisement