Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best live acts of today?

Options
  • 30-08-2003 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

recently visiting slane i have to say that i now think the peppers are the best live act around.and seeing the foo's a couple of times id say there not far behind.and new to the seen as they are id say the darkness are going to be in the top ten soon .i thought of this when i saw that rolling stone were doing a poll.but id like to get some irish views.im sure metallica will be mentioned a few times .so just throw some names out there .oh and in the past id say zeppelin are near the best live acts of all time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

The Frames, you idiot! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Metallica and The Darkness, just to be predictable. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Iron Maiden are still the daddies of live acts. They really get a crowd going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Chili Peppers Definatley best live act!!

Their truly unique brand of cool funk, complete with their trademark rhythms, emotive guitars and singer Anthony Kiedis' reflective vocals and lyrics make them not only the the best live act but Best Live Band and Best International Band.

Bloody Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Originally posted by denis_o_leary

Their truly unique brand of cool funk, complete with their trademark rhythms, emotive guitars and singer Anthony Kiedis' reflective vocals and lyrics make them not only the the best live act but Best Live Band and Best International Band.

[/B]

Does this smack of copy & paste to anyone else ?
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Yes, but I didn't want to post so soon again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Originally posted by Para||eL
    Does this smack of copy & paste to anyone else ?
    :rolleyes:

sorry, couldnt descibe them that perfectly in my own words

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Superb live acts, in no particular order:

Metallica
    Tool
    Slayer (they have never played a bad gig)
    Basement Jaxx
    Air
    Pearl Jam
    QOTSA
    The Redneck Manifesto

Based on last Wednesday's show at the RDS, my winner would be Metallica. Slane would have been perfect for them.

Oh, Chillis's were very good also, but wouldn't give them best live act status.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kanurocks

i respect your opinion therecky .but you have to agree that the chillis and metalica are completely different types of music .as metal goes id have to say your right with metallica.but out of every punk band about the chillis are the best.{and i dont mean the new crappy punk pop}.and a wall of sound is all i hear when i listen to metal.
    p.s having bigger speakers then every other band doesnt mean your better live .it just means no one can hear the mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by kanurocks
    i respect your opinion therecky .but you have to agree that the chillis and metalica are completely different types of music .as metal goes id have to say your right with metallica.but out of every punk band about the chillis are the best.{and i dont mean the new crappy punk pop}.and a wall of sound is all i hear when i listen to metal.
    p.s having bigger speakers then every other band doesnt mean your better live .it just means no one can hear the mistakes.

And I respect your opinion. While the Chillis are four excellent musicians, they are missing something that no amount of high-pitched singing or trumpet play can cover...rhythm guitar, plain and simple. There's a gap on their sound that a second guitarist needs to fill. In addition, a lot of their material is filler.

Would I describe them as punk? Not for one minute. But that shouldn't matter, the title of the thread is "best live acts of today", not best punk live acts...

As for the speaker thing, what relevance does this have. I don't judge my bands by the size of their speaker stack (ooh-er missus ;) ), you can hardly accuse Basement Jaxx and Air of creating walls of sound, can you???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Chilli Peppers are most certainly not punk. And 80,000 people turning out to see them at Slane sounds quite pop(ular) to me. You want proper, non-pop punk... Try a Dead Kennedys gig...

Although having said that, I thought the Chillis were excellent and I don't like them at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

The Frames,
    Coldplay,
    Damien Rice,
    Tenacious D.

All brilliant live acts (tenacious D at the ambassador).
    The frames are just an excellent live act, where ever they play.

I saw The Frames and Coldplay at witnness, Saw Damien Rice at the black box in Galway and at witnness (Galway being the more intimate and better gig.)

I saw tenacious D at the Ambassador, fclkin excellent. Jack Black was so good.

Overall, I'd say Coldplay or the Frames were the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

the Frames and The Flaming Lips and Polyphonic Spree were amazing at witnness.

Radiohead live is unmatchable!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

again, in no particular order:

radiohead
    metallica
    supergrass
    manic street preachers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

the chilis definetly are great live. I do think they deserve the awards they got. Slane is a perfect example of how good they can be.
    also I'd put in the list:

Foos
    U2
    Coldplay
    and i'd add the pumpkins too

(well thats just a few I can think of....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, [spunge], Jimmy Eat World and Fenix TX (who are no longer together). They are all brilliant... the Bosstones 'cos of their showmanship, [spunge] because I saw them with about 15 other people and they practically knew everyone in the crowd's name by the end of the gig, Jimmy Eat World because of the amount of energy that radiates from their lead singer, Jim Adkins, and finally, Fenix TX because they just bounced around the stage and their bassists started climbing over amps and all sorts of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Radiohead,
    Chillis,
    Flaming Lips.

Saw Radiohead twice this year and they were fantastic both times. Chilis are a close second, brilliant at Slane but crap last year. Musically the Flaming Lips aren't amazing but as live performances go they are exceptional, would love to see them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Flaming Lips and Polyphonic Spree go without saying but I also think Blur are pretty underated as a live act – everytime I’ve seen them, they’ve been amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

George Clinton with Pariliament/Funkadelic. One of the most amazing gigs i have been to. 5 Hours of Funk with god knows how many musicians up on stage. My ears were ringing and my legs were aching for the week afterwards but i experienced the best live act i have seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

U2 ... it goes without saying, can't wait for the Phoenix Park gigs next summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

For big staduim-type gigs, I'd have to go with Metallica, and Slayer second. Slayer
    have amazing power and presence onstage. Actually I saw David Bowie in
    Glastonbury and he was very, very good too.

But for smaller gigs I'm going with an Irish band called Kila, they play trad with a
    sort of a rock touch (no electric guitars or anyting, but thats the feel of it). They are
    absolutly excellent live, I've seen them about 10 times and I've never been
    disapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kanurocks

to threcky
    but if you listen to old chillis its all punk i.e blood sugar sex majic.and in reply to your rythm guitarist missing speach .i think rythm guitars take away the clean crisp sound from bands thats most notably in led zeppelins music.i think the music becomes to full as it were.kind of like to many chefs ruin the dinner.and the dinner is ruined in alot of bands because of them. but thats a key element in heavy metal which is what id class metalica as.and in no way are the chilis pop ,they may have become more rocky in ther comeback. but theyll allways be funky punk!!!!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 greenday chick

greenday
    the frames
    coldplay
    foos
    feeder
    u2
    chilis
    bellx1
    damien rice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

At the Drive-In were and The Mars Volta are quite good live acts I can tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

aslan are excellent live too, saw them in the cube i think its called out in rathfarnham, was an excellent gig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

flaming lips
    roger waters
    radiohead
    rolf harris

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Peaadina

Foos
    Tenacious D
    Pearl Jam
    Radiohead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

RAGING SPEEDHORN
    Dropkick Murphys
    therapy?
    The D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 billymeehan

Definately the Frames, Redneck Manifesto and the Flaming Lips.

Also in my younger days (I'm ooooooold and looooonley and I can't find my pills etc........) I went to see Therepy? and Metallica who were brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

In no particular order:

Nofx
    System Of A Down
    Queens Of The Stone Age
    Metallica
    Finch

Advertisement